Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbiting advice wanted

Rabbiting advice wanted

On one of the pieces of land where I shoot there's a very small field (only about an acre, if that) that's absolutely crawling with rabbits. The field is roughly square. One side is boundered by a country road, with 2 houses and a farm yard on the other side of the road. One side is boundered by a house, garden and campsite. One side is boundered by a field full of horses, and the fourth side is boundered by a pond (with rising ground on the other side of the water). There's a 3 foot high earth bank (with hedge on top) separating the field from the road, and that's where the rabbits live. I use a .22LR, firing segmented HP subs.

The question is, is it shootable?

I had thought to lie close to the earth bank, and shoot in the direction of the pond. This would mean shooting almost parallel to the road. The house and campsite would be behind me, with horse field to the left, road to right.
    My main fear is having a ricochet go over the road.

Ricochet would be reduced by taking shoulder / chest shots, rather than head shots, as I've found that the segments of the round don't exit the rabbit after this type of shot, but head shots often exit and go goodness knows where!

Is it worth it? There really is a heck of a lot of rabbits there...

Not worth the risk,get a good air rifle,cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    On one of the pieces of land where I shoot there's a very small field (only about an acre, if that) that's absolutely crawling with rabbits. The field is roughly square. One side is boundered by a country road, with 2 houses and a farm yard on the other side of the road. One side is boundered by a house, garden and campsite. One side is boundered by a field full of horses, and the fourth side is boundered by a pond (with rising ground on the other side of the water). There's a 3 foot high earth bank (with hedge on top) separating the field from the road, and that's where the rabbits live. I use a .22LR, firing segmented HP subs.

The question is, is it shootable?

I had thought to lie close to the earth bank, and shoot in the direction of the pond. This would mean shooting almost parallel to the road. The house and campsite would be behind me, with horse field to the left, road to right.
    My main fear is having a ricochet go over the road.

Ricochet would be reduced by taking shoulder / chest shots, rather than head shots, as I've found that the segments of the round don't exit the rabbit after this type of shot, but head shots often exit and go goodness knows where!

Is it worth it? There really is a heck of a lot of rabbits there...

Agree with Bramble, should be able to get a few with a good air-rifle.

get yourself some snares mate takes a bit more time but less worrying

dont risk it, get some ferrets!

I thought probably not possible. Thanks for confirming it. Pity though.
    Long net would be best bet, I reckon. Whole way along one side of field.

Agree with the long net, not many around these days who know how to use one.

Long netting will be good if the ground is suitable, or a trap line of MK 6 fenns inside the burrows, making sure that you back fill or as I use, peg 25mm mesh sheet over the burrow to stop any non target species entering trapping burrows and check twice a day, ferret during the winter.

I don't use wires , too indiscriminate on catch species

High seat wouldn't be any good then to alter trajectory of shot in any of the areas ?
    Last edited by philip; 05-07-2012 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Agree with the long net, not many around these days who know how to use one.
    Was having a check over of my webs recently

I actually think there is a bit of a resurgence with regads to longnetting, especially for use with ferreting.
    I like a 25 yarder as a back up but do enjoy a night out with the nets too. Swishing a bant cord or tapping your leg walking in. Can't beat it!!

Not many rabbits round my way and permission is hard to get but there is one farm where I get to run a web occasionaly.
    I'm half way through knitting a 12 yard stop net, taking ages but nice to use your own made nets wherever possible too.

Long live the long net
    Last edited by rigboot; 05-07-2012 at 21:22. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Was having a check over of my webs recently

I actually think there is a bit of a resurgence with regads to longnetting, especially for use with ferreting.
    I like a 25 yarder as a back up but do enjoy a night out with the nets too. Swishing a bant cord or taping your leg walking in. Can't beat it!!

Not many rabbits round my way and permission is hard to get but there is one farm where I get to run a web occasionaly.
    I'm half way through knitting a 12 yard stop net, taking ages but nice to use your own made nets wherever possible too.

Long live the long net
    My father taught me how to work a net many years ago, to be honest must be nearly thirty years since I last used one.

My father used to knit nets long nets , purse nets , gate nets but its not something I ever learnt.

Good to hear you thing its making a comeback , I really thought it was a dieing art.