Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with prvi brass!

Help with prvi brass!

I have been given 500 once fired prvi cases 6.5 x 55.which i ve been loading. VIHTA VUORI reloading guide starting load 45.8gr N160 even with the starting load i am finding it difficult to open the bolt I have been re-loading Lapua and Remington to the maximum load with no problems, does anyone know whats going on with the prvi brass or do i just chuck it straight in the bin

Have you tried chambering a re-sized case with no primer or bullet to see if it chambers all right or not?

Winkle,

I've reloaded 129 grain Hornaday SST's with Privi brass and Vit N160. I was running 39 grains of powder. I've had a quick look at the SKAN loads for the swede in the Vit tables. I couldn't find a starting load lower than about 43 grains. What bullets are you running with it ?

Cheers,

Bob

I have used PRVI brass in my .223 without any problems. Some have been reloaded 8 or 9 times now, no split cases.
    yet.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Bob
    Hornady InterBond 129 GR also Sierra 120 GR

looking at load data I have I would suggest dropping back on your charge. For instance I have for 130 GR berger a charge of 43-0 to 45.6 max. Hornady IB 26209 129 GN 33.4-43.6max all with Vhit N-160.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    I have been given 500 once fired prvi cases 6.5 x 55.which i ve been loading. VIHTA VUORI reloading guide starting load 45.8gr N160 even with the starting load i am finding it difficult to open the bolt I have been re-loading Lapua and Remington to the maximum load with no problems, does anyone know whats going on with the prvi brass or do i just chuck it straight in the bin
    Winkle.There is nothing wrong with prvi brass and it reloads well. What you dont realise is that you need to treat it like military brass ie it will be a little thicker than the usual sporting brass you are used to. This means if you base your normal powder weights on your favourite manual it might exhibit different pressure signs ie slightly over pressure as you are finding. Try dropping your loads another five to ten %. don't give up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    Not being smart but have you full length re-sized it? If not it will have expanded to fit the other rifles chamber and may be a bit tight in your chamber.

Nutty

Privy brass is absolute crap, throw it away Wait, No, throw it my way and I'll throw it away for you and if anybody else has any more in either .222 .243, .308 or 30-06 I'll dispose of that for them as well

Well to tell the truth, I'll use it until it's useful life expires. At the moment I am using some that has been used five times at least and it is still safe with me but at the first signs of slacking it's for the off but looking at it, it won't be for a while.