Thread: Higher level stewardship (protocols)

Higher level stewardship (protocols)

A farm that I've been shooting for a number of years now has entered into the HLS. I've been told not to drive on any fields not even fields that have been harvested! as massive fines could be incurred if tyre tracks are found.

The farm previously was run as free range pig farm and has now been turned over to arable and free range chickens (6000) of which I try and control the local fox population.

The chicken farmer is helpful but is not up to speed with all the in's and out's of the HLS scheme.

The farm manager manages two farms and sadly I have no dealings with. He has been putting up gates everywhere (locks included) bollards in any gaps and has even put ditches in, in an attempt to make the farm secure. On one little field entrance he even sprayed "No" on the tramline that leads in to some set a side land.

My question is, when can i have access to the fields with a vehicle?

Are there dates that using a vehicle is a no go i.e. 1 March spring/early summer nesting time - July 1st?.
    Dates please. Date permitted / Date Not permitted.

Can someone give me the parameters of this scheme please, or where I can find more accurate information.

Thanks. Rem 700

Bloomimg eck, that lot looks a minefield.

Thanks ReMington

If you're in a HLS scheme you (farmer) really should be up on the in's and out's of it. But if yours isn't nevermind. A fair proportion of our farm is in the scheme, some of which is ancient grass land which we can do nothing but graze livestock on. But as far as I'm aware there's nothing to prevent one from using motorised vehicles on the land when necessary - but I'll check with the old man!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    If you're in a HLS scheme you (farmer) really should be up on the in's and out's of it. But if yours isn't nevermind. A fair proportion of our farm is in the scheme, some of which is ancient grass land which we can do nothing but graze livestock on. But as far as I'm aware there's nothing to prevent one from using motorised vehicles on the land when necessary - but I'll check with the old man!
    we are on ELS not so strict and i think you will find your motor access far more resticted as for public access they will have considerably more access that is part of the scheme .means head ache if you have phezys to feed every day i am always having to pick my route to prevent wear on the headlands as very large fines are dished out for neglect of the animal corridors ! one of our farming group was inspected and fined many thousands of 's last year .you get used to it .good luck
    norma

It doesn’t seem very workable to me, the real truth is just adapt and do your best.
    Your advantage is over the years you have shot the ground you will know the places that works best for you. Changes like this put people like us off balance for a while.
    I have a farm next door that I have shot for 35 years and noticed a change in the tenant farmer since they took on a 5 year lease. It did bother me for a while, but I just get on with the surrounding farms foxes, pigeons and the deer that will be pushed off when their pheasant season starts!
    It will come right in the end, just keep going and buy a top pair of walking boots!

Tim.243

You can drive on the fields, but you must not cause damage to the swath, so common sence.

Two of the neighbouring farms to where I shoot are in HLS, both tenented estate farms, but I have heard on the grapevine they have been told to stop shooting for a year ? Just bog standard farms i.e not SSSI, but two woods have been thinned out considerably for replanting and Km'S of new stock fencing has been put in. Not too keen on the fencing as it is mainly around the woods where there was very old fallen fencing previously (and no stock to fence out), now they have ringed the woods effectively with a deer killer.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Two of the neighbouring farms to where I shoot are in HLS, both tenented estate farms, but I have heard on the grapevine they have been told to stop shooting for a year ? Just bog standard farms i.e not SSSI, but two woods have been thinned out considerably for replanting and Km'S of new stock fencing has been put in. Not too keen on the fencing as it is mainly around the woods where there was very old fallen fencing previously (and no stock to fence out), now they have ringed the woods effectively with a deer killer.
    i once looked after a 3000 acre estate that went into one of those bloody schemes , stock fences , gates , thinning of woodland etc and the deer population (mainly roe and muntjac) on that side of the estate to litterally bugger all in under a year !