Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta disapointment

Beretta disapointment

Due to advancing age and possible indifferent gun mounting, decided to have
    a Kickeeze recoil pad fitted to my silver pigeon 1 bought new from Litts Newport
    about seven years ago, decided to pay for the option of Extra wood as it was
    better than the standard wood offered at the time.
    Imagine my surprise when the stocker rang me to say that during the fitting
    of the pad the Extra wood had peeled off as it was only a veneer and not
    solid wood as you would expect, in fact the wood underneath he doubted
    if it was even walnut, it looked like boxwood , be carefull,as it was not the first
    time he had seen this with Berettas even on more expensive ones.
    howzat

Thats terrible i have the silver pigeon 1 as well and think its a good gun but i didn't splash out for extras.
    Hope it gets sorted out for you.

And your surprised?

I have been dubious of Beretta and their practices for many years.

Beretta made it quite clear that extrawood is a veneer when they marketed these stocks so it shouldn't have come as a shock to you or the stocker. It was a cheap way of making stocks appear to be of a much higher grade hence the low cost of such stocks. They never misled anyone on this though some may have fooled themselves or been led astray by some gun shops.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Obviously led astray by Litts, should have known better,
    thanks for the info.
    howzat

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    You, BH, suspicious of importers or manufacturers skimping on quality or passing on excessive prices...nah, I don't believe it

Litts/the person selling may not have known. if you didn't have a new recoil pad fitted you may not have know either tbh.

these days the only way of getting true quality is to buy used equipment from the 'good old days'.

Quote Originally Posted by Howzat View Post
    Obviously led astray by Litts, should have known better,
    thanks for the info.
    howzat

If I remember rightly the way it was explained in advertising and write ups was that one of the reasons that this sytem was introduced, and Beretta are not the only ones using it, is the limited supply of well figured good quality walnut available for gunstocks. One write up I recall by Michael Yardley even said that you could see the overlap of the plastic veneer on the bottom of the stock with some guns.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    And your surprised?

Brithunter, I have several Beretta's over the years, all 20 bores, currently have 3, silver pigeon, EELL & 3 shot techynus (once shot 2 greylags with one shot, and high birds at that!!), I have no problem with them at all, all produced at a high standard, I for one would endorse Beretta if you read the revdews Mike Yardley & other experts share the same views

To be honest, I would be directing my dissapointment at the 'stocker' for not knowing such a basic detail about one of the most popular shotguns ever. If Litts did indeed sell it to you as an upgraded solid stock then they were dishonest in doing that but its a bit late to do anything about it now, Litts went belly up in a big way a few years ago and good luck getting any redress out of the new owners. JC