Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 bore cartridges, game

20 bore cartridges, game

Seriously considering a 20 bore. Mates are using them to good effect and my 12 bore beretta sp is a heavy beast by the end of the day. Cartridge recommendations please for pheasant, crow and pigeons. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Seriously considering a 20 bore. Mates are using them to good effect and my 12 bore beretta sp is a heavy beast by the end of the day. Cartridge recommendations please for pheasant, crow and pigeons. Jim
    Ive no experiance with a 20. But I had the same senario as you last season. I had a Winchester 101 sporterised trap, which was heavy. I traded it in for a 686 special game, its as light as a 20 handles well and it gives me the added bonus of using a heavy cartridige if I was to so wish. And shells are cheaper aswell...

nutty

Early season pheasants Hull sterling game 28g no.6 shot,Later season Gamebore puregold 30g no.5 shot. Eley Grand Prix are also good. All fibre wads. atb Tim

used a 20 for 19-20 years
    all i ever use is 28gr of express super game in 5's
    I have 1/2 choke in both barrels and it will shoot any pheasant a 12 will and kill it just as well.

I sometimes wonder whether the fondness for 20bores is the result of modern 12bores being too heavy.

My 12bore game gun weighs a shade over six-and-a-half pounds, and works fine with 1oz cartridges. It is perhaps no surprise that modern 20bores of a similar weight with a similar load work just as well.

The surprise to me is that people don't just use a lighter 12bore!

Any 28gram load in 5 shot, 1/4 & 1/2 chokes, seems to do the job.

But must agree, if walking up, possibly use a light 12 with lighter loads. 16 bore is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Interstingly, I use 6's rather than 5's in the 1oz load. Pattern generally fails before penetration, so to me it makes sense to have a higher shot count; unless your gun patterns better with 5's for some reason, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post

But must agree, if walking up, possibly use a light 12 with lighter loads. 16 bore is another option.
    The downside of using a 6 1/2lb 12 bore over a similar weight 20 is that the 12 will have shorter barrels so will not swing as naturally as the 20 bore which is why most go for the 20!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    The downside of using a 6 1/2lb 12 bore over a similar weight 20 is that the 12 will have shorter barrels so will not swing as naturally as the 20 bore which is why most go for the 20!
    Agreed mines a 30inch.
    Its also very slim in the block so it pleases the eye.
    They also throw a longer shot string for same weight cartridge and when you have the lead worked out I think helps them kill if you hit first with the leading pellets.

Used 1oz of Eley VIP 6's happily for a long time, still do for rough shooting. I use the same shell in 5's now if I am on a driven day.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......