Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: first deer calibre rifle

first deer calibre rifle

im booked in for my dsc1 in august so will be looking for a new rifle shortly after that a friend of mine has a 6.5 x 55 and another friend has a 30 06 what would be a good calibre for my first deer rifle bearing in mind i intend to keep it for a long time ?

not very helpfull i'm affaid but... anything legal they all knock them over!. i'm at a very similar point (just sorting my variation). only thing i can say is try as many calibres as you can before you decide.

i eventually decided that the calibres with greater recoil were not for me. so opted for a 25-06 if that helps

dont rush!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris .222 View Post
    im booked in for my dsc1 in august so will be looking for a new rifle shortly after that a friend of mine has a 6.5 x 55 and another friend has a 30 06 what would be a good calibre for my first deer rifle bearing in mind i intend to keep it for a long time ?

You won't need to think about buying another deer rifle again

Your going to get a 101 opinions on this one so here's mine.
    You won't go far wrong with a 6.5x55, exellant calibre and will do everything from muntys up to reds.

Cheers Matt.

The old tried and tested 270 Winchester is one heck of a cartridge. The drawback as I see is lack on non expanding bullets for practice. So perhaps the 7x64 Brenneke would be better as there are plenty of non expanding bullets in 7mm.

I agree with westcoaststalker 270 all the way u wont go wrong had one for 30 years never failed me

Both calibres are very good, I have and used both extensively over the years, also use 7mm-08 and 6.5x284 again superb calibres, and would not change. But your question has a couple of other considerations. Do you want a rifle a rifle that is both easy to get factory ammo anywhere, with plenty of manufacturer options? Easy to learn how to reload well. Well capable of anything in the UK? Not too exotic, hence good resale value if you decide to change. A rifle that you can easily compliment as and when you want to expand. Can take most places in the world, and within reason never be too far out of place. Ok a couple of countries frown on military calibres.

If you can shoot your friends 30-06 well, then go with that. But if you plan to stay in UK, and do not wish to use anything heavier than 165grains go with a good old 308, and that can be said with no bias on my part, because if I was to sell all my rifles, and have only one I would keep the 30-06 as this gives me more options when abroad.

Good luck withe the DSC 1, and enjoy choosing. Bet you don't finish with only one rifle!!!

ATB

HL

6.5 / 270 / 7mm, any decent cartridge in those calibres will get it done.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

go into your local shop, try to handle a few that are in your budget, if you can, shoot those, and pick the one that feels like it's your best friend, ideally in a calibre of .243 to 30-06, then tell the FLO that you've picked a good one that you can handle and feel comfortable shooting, and that is relevant to your needs for X?YZ reason. any semi-intelligent FLO would authorise what you have chosen.

I'd say any medium sized calibre from 6.5 up to around .30-06 will do the job well.

I currently shoot a 6.5x55 which is really pleasant to shoot. However, in case you don't plan to reload it might be worth going with a less exotic calibre to have easy access to factory ammo. The .308 would be hard to beat in that regard.

At the end of the day it's all about bullet placement so make sure you get a rifle and a scope that works well and that you are comfortable with. Then spend a lot of time on the range and dry firing.

All the best,

Christian