Thread: Invite for a buck

Thumbs up Invite for a buck

Was out tonight after a kind invitation to go stalking for a roe buck from someone i know.

Arrived at his house at 6pm and we formed a plan of attack.
    We drove to a piece of his ground that was dense woodland with a few rides through it and setup in one of his hides.
    The weather held off and there was a slight breeze blowing towards us - so things were looking good.
    After around two hours we hadn't seen any deer and were quietly talking about stalking when i noticed something on the edge of the woodland around 150yds away. We both looked at it through our bino's and found it was a fox! Deciding that we hadn't seen any deer that the fox was fair game! We watched the fox make its way from the edge of the woodland to a tree around 80yds away, where it sat down. I aimed at the foxes head with the .308 and just as i fired the fox started to put his head down to sniff something and the bullet passed between its ears Needless to say it was off to live another day!

We then decided to move to a highseat further up the ride which covered a large area between two pieces of woodland. So we stalked up through the ride and skirted the edge of the woodland to the highseat, where we got settled. The wind was now a slight breeze and was blowing towards us - so again things were looking good. We then heard a noise behind us and whispered "its a buck"! Sure enough a young buck was moving out of cover and heading straight for the highseat. Both of us stayed as still as we could to let the buck pass in front of the highseat and hopefully present a shot. We daren't moved for what seemed like hours as the buck browsed at the bottom of the highseat!! He then started to move away to our right and had got to around 10yds when i raised the rifle. He stopped in his tracks as he had heard me move and was staring back at us both in the highseat.
    He had been walking away before stopping and was looking at us over his back so i decided to take the neck shot and he dropped on the spot. Quickly reloading and ready to take a follow up shot if it was needed. I watched the buck through the scope for 10 minutes and on seeing no movement unloaded the blaser.

Approaching the deer from downwind to touch his eye with my sticks - it confirmed he was dead. After checking the bucks feet/mouth/rear end and general condition before carrying out the field gralloch.

I had a fantastic evening in some really wonderful scenery!
    Thanks Dave!

Daz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buck1.jpg   buck3.jpg   buck4.jpg  
    Last edited by DazT; 06-07-2012 at 23:10.
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    Was out tonight after a kind invitation to go stalking for a roe buck from someone i know.

Arrived at his house at 6pm and we formed a plan of attack.
    We drove to a piece of his ground that was dense woodland with a few rides through it and setup in one of his hides.
    The weather held off and there was a slight breeze blowing towards us - so things were looking good.
    After around two hours we hadn't seen any deer and were quietly talking about stalking when i noticed something on the edge of the woodland around 150yds away. We both looked at it through our bino's and found it was a fox! Deciding that we hadn't seen any deer that the fox was fair game! We watched the fox make its way from the edge of the woodland to a tree around 80yds away, where it sat down. I aimed at the foxes head with the .308 and just as i fired the fox started to put his head down to sniff something and the bullet passed between its ears Needless to say it was off to live another day!

We then decided to move to a highseat further up the ride which covered a large area between two pieces of woodland. So we stalked up through the ride and skirted the edge of the woodland to the highseat, where we got settled. The wind was now a slight breeze and was blowing towards us - so again things were looking good. We then heard a noise behind us and whispered "its a buck"! Sure enough a young buck was moving out of cover and heading straight for the highseat. Both of us stayed as still as we could to let the buck pass in front of the highseat and hopefully present a shot. We daren't moved for what seemed like hours as the buck browsed at the bottom of the highseat!! He then started to move away to our right and had got to around 10yds when i raised the rifle. He stopped in his tracks as he had heard me move and was staring back at us both in the highseat.
    He had been walking away before stopping and was looking at us over his back so i decided to take the neck shot and he dropped on the spot. Quickly reloading and ready to take a follow up shot if it was needed. I watched the buck through the scope for 10 minutes and on seeing no movement unloaded the blaser.

Approaching the deer from downwind to touch his eye with my sticks - it confirmed he was dead. After checking the bucks feet/mouth/rear end and general condition before carrying out the field gralloch.

I had a fantastic evening in some really wonderful scenery!
    Thanks Dave!

Daz
    Great reading RS, it was like being with you, share your disappointment withthe fox I had one the same other night, he was coming through some reeds in an open field, stopped at about 90-100 yards, all I could see was his head/chest, squeezed off, just as he moved, he then ran up the field through various clumps of reeds towards me, passing me within 10 yards, then disappeared!!!! OH Bugger, or something very similar

Well done mate and sounds like you had a great time

Yep with the fox moving and the bullet missing him over the top - i thought that might have been the start of things to come. Thankfully it wasn't
    I haven't ever been so close to a live wild deer whilst stalking - he was at the bottom of the highseat less than 5 ft from my boot!

Had a fantastic time, even got to wear my new monsoon jacket

Cheers
    Daz

Nice one, Daz, and well done, mate.

Christened that new Ridgeline with a vengeance.

George

Cheers lads!
    Thats him now all boned out and in the freezer

ATB
    Daz

now daz thats one i will never forget, we could have jumped on him he was that close, have ya stopped shacking yet ha, i have just...............

Yep just about mate, was very exciting! He had no idea we were 7ft above him!!!
    Cheers mate - i will remember it for a long time!

ATB
    Daz