Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food handling and the Supply of wild game to consumers/retailers

Food handling and the Supply of wild game to consumers/retailers

I recently did some research into this and came up with a useful link.
    Lots of ambiguity and lack of definition but useful reading for anyone supplying "game" in either fur/feather or processed.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/draftwildgameguide.pdf

One interesting bit was this: (caveat: you need to read the "exemption" part for it to make full sense!)

"You do not have to be registered if:
    • you have a shooting/stalking estate (with or without a game larder) where all the in-fur/infeather game produced is either for private domestic consumption or comes under the
    exemption for supply of small quantities of in fur/in feather game direct to the final consumer or
    to local retailers.
    It is unlikely that your Local Authority will require registration if:
    • you shoot recreationally on other people’s land and have no game larder of your own.
    However, you may sometimes shoot more than you can consume or supply onwards to final
    consumers or local retailers on the day. As long as the journey is short enough to prevent carcase
    deterioration and the vehicle is suitably clean and free from sources of contamination from pests,
    animals, etc, and that the carcase has been examined by a trained hunter then direct delivery to
    the AGHE by the individual recreational shooter is a sensible option. If you are able to show that
    this is only an occasional occurrence then it is unlikely your Local Authority would want to register
    you or your vehicle formally. Ensuring that your vehicle is kept clean on shooting days, free from
    contamination and, where necessary, disinfected, will demonstrate ‘due diligence’ under the Food
    Safety Act 1990."

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I recently did some research into this and came up with a useful link.
    Lots of ambiguity and lack of definition but useful reading for anyone supplying "game" in either fur/feather or processed.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/draftwildgameguide.pdf

One interesting bit was this: (caveat: you need to read the "exemption" part for it to make full sense!)

"You do not have to be registered if:
    • you have a shooting/stalking estate (with or without a game larder) where all the in-fur/infeather game produced is either for private domestic consumption or comes under the
    exemption for supply of small quantities of in fur/in feather game direct to the final consumer or
    to local retailers.
    It is unlikely that your Local Authority will require registration if:
    • you shoot recreationally on other people’s land and have no game larder of your own.
    However, you may sometimes shoot more than you can consume or supply onwards to final
    consumers or local retailers on the day. As long as the journey is short enough to prevent carcase
    deterioration and the vehicle is suitably clean and free from sources of contamination from pests,
    animals, etc, and that the carcase has been examined by a trained hunter then direct delivery to
    the AGHE by the individual recreational shooter is a sensible option. If you are able to show that
    this is only an occasional occurrence then it is unlikely your Local Authority would want to register
    you or your vehicle formally. Ensuring that your vehicle is kept clean on shooting days, free from
    contamination and, where necessary, disinfected, will demonstrate ‘due diligence’ under the Food
    Safety Act 1990."
    thank you for that. PS: did you get the 20 tac case bud.

thats where i was until a few months back,

now i have done the lantra course with 1s1k Craig on here im now supplying dealers with meat, just means that i have a registration number now and can crack on on my own.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

This is the current area on FSA site for Wild Game.
    http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/wildgameguidance
    and lists contact phone numbers for any queries. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 07-07-2012 at 17:32. Reason: fixing the edit

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    thank you for that. PS: did you get the 20 tac case bud.

thats where i was until a few months back,

now i have done the lantra course with 1s1k Craig on here im now supplying dealers with meat, just means that i have a registration number now and can crack on on my own.

bob.
    So have you registered as a food business to legally supply to Game Dealers?

Confused with this,I thought you only had to register if supplying direct or to retailers and not if supplying an AGHE........is that how the exemption reads???

Apparently you're supposed to register to supply am AGHE (don't think many people actually do though). I have registered, filled in a form from the council and that's it, they didn't even visit.

Isn't the law somewhat different between Scotland & England/Wales. Different interpretation of EU rules?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Isn't the law somewhat different between Scotland & England/Wales. Different interpretation of EU rules?

David.
    Yes, I was referring to England and Wales only

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Apparently you're supposed to register to supply am AGHE (don't think many people actually do though). I have registered, filled in a form from the council and that's it, they didn't even visit.
    Yes but are you actually selling it to the public ? If you were then you would get a visit and they would want to see your preparation rooms and Childers, when buying venison from stalkers we ask for a proper receipt with hunters number and tag ,and that gets logged with your name and details the receipts then go to the accounts .do you declare the money .all of a sudden actually doing it properly makes sense as you are traceable from all sides.we gotta a letter from the environmental health just the other day warning us about buying game venison from reputable sources and keep up to date records to show who we were buying from if the venison wasn't all what we have shot ,it's getting harder for butchers to buy from stalkers. We wouldn't dream of buying from someone who has not got all there paper work in place