Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use a .243 bore guide for a 6.5..........

Can I use a .243 bore guide for a 6.5..........

after all it's only .021 of an inch different. Or am i just being stupid ? Would you advise against it anyway even if it's possible. Has anyone tried it - any problems encountered ?

Cheers

Scrun

I would expect it to make cleaning a bit harder and also be harder on the brush.

I know lots may cringe but it's possible to carefully clean without a bore guide .

Sure.

I use Parker Hale cleaning rods with U.S. adaptors, and there's no other way because of the diameter of the rods, and the longer length of the 6.5x55 action.

My Stoney Point bore guides are (Gold) - 224" to 243" and (Red) .264" to .308". The thinner rod has to double for .224 - .264 in both guides. I use .224", .243", .264", .277", .284", and .308" brushes so there's bound to be some 'slop' in most of these calibres.

You've got me wondering now. I thought this was usual practice.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Sorry.

Just read BH's post.

You mean using the smaller guide (gold) for the bigger calibre. I don't see why not as it's oversize anyway.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    custom fit!

i have a similar set up on the 20 tac.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Surely on the rear part of the stroke the brush is inside the smaller diameter chamber of the guide is it not?

I must admit to not knowing what these guides are like as I have never used one let alone owned one. Have always guided the rod with my hand and fingers.

Sinistral - just got hold of 3 Stoney Point bgs off ebay as a job lot.. Gold Red and Green (338). I was proposing using the gold for the 6.5 (.264) and thats all my weapons covered accept for the rim fires. I think I'll give it a go and will report back if there's any probs. Mind you at the moment i'm a bore snake man so i'm waiting for the CLA to get some rods and attachments.

Cheers for the advice guys

Scrun

ps - Brit - "carefully clean" - Opps, they have only been bore snaked, so i suspect i'm in for a telling off

pps. _ Bewsher perhaps you ought to market your design, if i had seen that before and could have found my hacksaw and got hold of a bit of pipe and been able to superglue them together without sticking the dog to everything i might have ripped the idea off .

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    just got hold of 3 Stoney Point bgs off ebay as a job lot.. Gold Red and Green (338).
    Saw that listing, but as I had just started work on turning up some delrin guides I opted not to snipe. Good deal though !

Bewsher500/Bobjs, does the brass not give you a taint when using copper solvent ?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Saw that listing, but as I had just started work on turning up some delrin guides I opted not to snipe. Good deal though !

Bewsher500/Bobjs, does the brass not give you a taint when using copper solvent ?
    not as yet. my 243 one i remove it and clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner with the rest of the brass, so not sure if this helps ??

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube