Unusual Medal Buck

Got a break in the weather on Tuesday evening and managed to get a stalk in, i went to a particular wood that i had seen a good buck in a couple of times that i hadn't managed to catch up with.

I had no sooner got in to the first stand of big trees when i got barked at, it wasn't the usual totally spooked running off barking, so i gave a bark back which was immediatly retuned with some really deep throaty barks, good me thinks, sure this is a buck and i've got his attention, i gave another couple of barks trying to keep them sounding similar to the barks i was getting back that were also coming closer, but i still hadn't seen the beast as yet, after a five minutes of back and forth barking i got a glimpse between some trees and confirmed it was a buck and he was moving down to my left, i think trying to get down wind to see who was challenging him in his wood. He appeared about 100m broad side on but with branches covering his chest then moved on again quickly, i was on my sticks by now, i kept getting the odd glimpse of him through the trees but never a clear shot, i gave another bark, at this he started running more to my left and i thought i had blew it and he had figured me out as i was standing out in the open, but he reappeared again about 60m away running i gave him a louder bark to try and stop him but he came right in to about 40m along a ditch, as soon as he stuck his head up out the ditch he got it in the neck, as i think if he came any closer he would have realised i wasn't another buck, turned out to be a very nice buck.

P1050929.jpgThe coronet on the left side is biggar than the one on the left and on cleanning the head found a big hole at the back of the pedicle going in and up nearly makeing the pedicle hollow.P1050963.jpg Anybody seen anything like this before or know the cause, it was kind of mushy inside and the bone is smooth round the edges and there was no obvious sign before skinning except for the larger coronet and larger front tine.
The head has been ontop of the AGA for a couple of days and has dried out to 546g so should be bronze and may scrape silver.
Will put up some more pics as i seem to be at my limit for this post.

Moose

Got a break in the weather on Tuesday evening and managed to get a stalk in, i went to a particular wood that i had seen a good buck in a couple of times that i hadn't managed to catch up with.

I had no sooner got in to the first stand of big trees when i got barked at, it wasn't the usual totally spooked running off barking, so i gave a bark back which was immediatly retuned with some really deep throaty barks, good me thinks, sure this is a buck and i've got his attention, i gave another couple of barks trying to keep them sounding similar to the barks i was getting back that were also coming closer, but i still hadn't seen the beast as yet, after a five minutes of back and forth barking i got a glimpse between some trees and confirmed it was a buck and he was moving down to my left, i think trying to get down wind to see who was challenging him in his wood. He appeared about 100m broad side on but with branches covering his chest then moved on again quickly, i was on my sticks by now, i kept getting the odd glimpse of him through the trees but never a clear shot, i gave another bark, at this he started running more to my left and i thought i had blew it and he had figured me out as i was standing out in the open, but he reappeared again about 60m away running i gave him a louder bark to try and stop him but he came right in to about 40m along a ditch, as soon as he stuck his head up out the ditch he got it in the neck, as i think if he came any closer he would have realised i wasn't another buck, turned out to be a very nice buck.

View attachment 17253The coronet on the left side is biggar than the one on the left and on cleanning the head found a big hole at the back of the pedicle going in and up nearly makeing the pedicle hollow.View attachment 17255 Anybody seen anything like this before or know the cause, it was kind of mushy inside and the bone is smooth round the edges and there was no obvious sign before skinning except for the larger coronet and larger front tine.
The head has been ontop of the AGA for a couple of days and has dried out to 546g so should be bronze and may scrape silver.
Will put up some more pics as i seem to be at my limit for this post.

Moose

A very small woodpecker.....?:coat:

An old infection I'd guess would be the most likely cause of the hole bearing in mind where it is on the pedicle, that or fly blow leading to maggots burying in.

Last edited:
well done!

my brother in law shot a gold with 5 antlers once, 3 with 3 points (as per traditional 6 pointer), one spike, and one with 2 points,,,

very special indeed! bugger has shot 3 medals on my ground visiting, I've never! LOL

Back