Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What reloading consumables need to be secured in gun cabinet?

What reloading consumables need to be secured in gun cabinet?

Do any consumables for reloading need to be kept securely as for complete ammunition? I'm currently storing the primers and bullets with my other ammunition, but do I have to?

Don't know, I store bullets, target and expanding in the main cabinet with my rifles.
    Once turned in to rounds they go in the lock top with other ammo.
    FEO has seen this and has made no comment one way or the other ?

Neil.

Reloading components do not need to be securely stored, that includes expanding bullets

Ian.

I asked this very question to BASC Firearms Dept before my last FEO visit and was told that expanding bullets, even in component form, most certainly DO need to be kept secure. As a result i always do. If BASC were incorrect i would be keen to know.
    Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    I asked this very question to BASC Firearms Dept before my last FEO visit and was told that expanding bullets, even in component form, most certainly DO need to be kept secure. As a result i always do. If BASC were incorrect i would be keen to know.
    Yorkie.
    It would appear to be so given the S5 status of expanding bullets. Other components do not need to be secured. atb Tim

The I am afraid BASC is wrong.

I was told a similar tale when the rules on expanding "projectiles" changed in 1997. I challenged the advice and wrote to the Home Office.

H.O confirmed that the only restrictions on expanding projectiles are that you must prove you have legal authority to aquire and keep (ie show your FAC). They also confirmed that the projectiles should not be entered on to your FAC in any way, shape or form, even once loaded in to ammunition

You can take the BASC advice, but its always best to speak to the Home Office (very nice people) if you want to be 100% sure

edit

If ever taken to task and making an appearance in front of a Magistrate, remember that a letter of advice from the Home Office carries a whole load more weight than talk of a telephone conversation with (insert prefered shooting association) of production of a forum "screen shot"
    Last edited by dogtired; 08-07-2012 at 07:12.

Not sure is the answer, could not get definite answer from FE O so keep all components in ammo safe, its not a big hardship.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtired View Post
    The I am afraid BASC is wrong.

I was told a similar tale when the rules on expanding "projectiles" changed in 1997. I challenged the advice and wrote to the Home Office.

H.O confirmed that the only restrictions on expanding projectiles are that you must prove you have legal authority to aquire and keep (ie show your FAC). They also confirmed that the projectiles should not be entered on to your FAC in any way, shape or form, even once loaded in to ammunition

You can take the BASC advice, but its always best to speak to the Home Office (very nice people) if you want to be 100% sure

edit

If ever taken to task and making an appearance in front of a Magistrate, remember that a letter of advice from the Home Office carries a whole load more weight than talk of a telephone conversation with (insert prefered shooting association) of production of a forum "screen shot"
    Good advice, I shall write to the HO for clarification. atb Tim

Why create hassle for youself... even if you were ever taken to task over this and ended up in court and subsequently won.. why on earth put yourself through it?

So... the police pay you a visit, find some expanding projectiles not secure. THEY DECIDE you are in breach of the terms of your ticket and remove your guns, take your FAC off you and start prosecution proceedings...

Some time and many tens of thousands of pound in legal costs later you MIGHT get your guns back after you convince a Judge and Jury the you were in the right....

Why would you open yourself up to this ??? It doesn't matter whether ultimately you are in the right, it is the Chief Constables view at the time that matters whether you get away with it or not!

Get 'em locked away and save yourselves the grief!

I have kids in the house so all my reloading components are locked away in bulk storage cabinet, including fmjs

Virbius
    Never store your primers in a metal box as you have the makings of a bomb!! If you want to lock them up do so in a wooden or plastic box.