Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: target shooting scopes

target shooting scopes

ok gents ,

im thinking i might have a little dabble in long range target shooting with the 300win mag (600-1000m)

never done it before , but im thinking im going to need a scope for the job

ive always used fixed power schmid and bender for all my stalking so im thinking i need a variable scope with all the wind and height ajustments at a reasonable price (400-500) new or second hand .

what do you guys recomend ?

cheers lee

Lee to give it a try you don't really need to go spending a small fortune. You can shoot 600 yards with the scope you have probably.

The biggest drawback with a stalking scope may be the size of the reticle. Finer is better for target work at distance so it does nto cover the aiming mark.

I'll drop you a PM.

Lee

I shot at 600m the other day with the 260 Rem. The scope is a Swarovski 5-30 x 50 with the ladder reticle. My first two shots were very poor for elevation, but once I had picked the correct point on the ladder, I was ok. I don't adjust the scope when shooting like this as the scope is zeroed for stalking. I just look at the marker for my last shot and hold off. At 600m I couldn't hit the V bull. On this occasion, 4 folk were shooting at the same target, so there was a very good delay between shots, so I managed to fire off the 16 rounds I had loaded. Normally at this kind of shoot I stop at 9 or 10 shots as the barrel is too hot.

I've fired shots at 1100 yds with this scope, but you have to crank the magnification down to stay on the ladder. The closest I could get to the mark was about 18 inches with the 243. If I was going to shoot more often at targets, I would fit a scope rail and then I could put a dedicated target scope on when I need to.

What the longer range shooting does tell you is how good your reloading is. I changed loads mid shoot one evening and promptly halved my group size.

Have fun. JCS

Lately I also wanted a target 'scope, mainly because of the reticle thickness on my stalking sights, but also because the highest mag I've got on any of them is 12x.

I bought a Leupold vx2 6-18x40 target with big turrets for about 525, which seemed to me the best value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Lately I also wanted a target 'scope, mainly because of the reticle thickness on my stalking sights, but also because the highest mag I've got on any of them is 12x.

I bought a Leupold vx2 6-18x40 target with big turrets for about 525, which seemed to me the best value for money.
    im glad you said that , because thats the on ive been looking at !

how is it performing ?

Lee, I have a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 with target turrets sitting on my shelf doing nothing, I was going to send it to Leupold for a service then probably sell it, If you want to borrow it to have a play you are more than welcome. I used to have it on a .300 win mag and I think that the elevation turret may still be marked up for my old 165grn load. Glyn.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    im glad you said that , because thats the on ive been looking at !

how is it performing ?
    It's doing very nicely, thanks! Another reason I went for it was the 1" tube, as I happened to have good 1" mounts on hand.

In any case, I reconed I wouldn't need a 30mm tube or big objective as target shooting is not generally done at night.

Having said all that, Glyn's item sounds attractive, particularly as decent s/h glass from a good home represents to my mind overwhelmingly the best value for money!

There you go Lee methinks Glyns High mag Leupold beats my little Nikon 3-9x40 just a trifle .

the 30mm tube is not for light gathering, it is generally for a larger range of windage and more significantly, elevation.

last time I shot 600 yds it was with my sister's 270 equipped with 4x32 Nikko Sterling from the 70's
    bulls and Vbulls among the hits
    Last edited by csl; 14-07-2012 at 08:05.