Stalking Bino's: MODELS Leica / Swarovksi

Tomsk

ALL

Following the multipule threads in this forum on the topic of good quality Bino's, Ive been given some advise on Leica model types to look for and options to steer away from - need some pointers on Swarovski ( similar power ):

Can you add to the list - Good / Bad ?

GOOD :
> Leica 8/8.5 x 42 BN
> Trinovid

AVOID :
> Leica 8/8.5 x 42 BL or BA or other
> 50x beacuse of shake and field of view
> any in-built rangefinder as reduces view @ dusk

Money is not the issue - just want to buy well and once !

Thx , TOMSK

GOOD :
> Leica 8/8.5 x 42 BN
> Trinovid
> 10 Power Variants give better view of animal / trophy assessment
> 50mm Objectives give greater VOF and Twilight Factor
> Geovid all the preformance of the rest of range including dawn and dusk performance with the added benifit of a range finder
> Leica 8 x 42 BL Ideal binos for the hill small and a light easily tucked inside coat
> Leica 8 x 42 BA good secondhand binos for those on a budget

I have had both Geovids and Swarovski range bins and have never noticed any detrimental effect on thier low light ability when compared to ones without, Swarovski's own blurb states that the difference is not noticeable.

I have Swarovski 10x42 EL's. Very, very good however, if I was to buy again, I would probably go for the 8.5's, reason being that you see your shake very easily through the 10x

the "50" you mention, I assume you mean the lense size, it's not the "50" that gives you the shakes, it's the magnification you put through it.

I would however stay away from a 50mm lense as it's a very bulky bino to carry around.

I have looked through Lieca's, I'd say on par with Swarovski, but for the price of either pair I'd expect crystal clear vision. What I would consider at those prices is the customer service provided by each manufacturer. I think you will find, by doing a serck on here that Swarovski will be very hard to beat in that respect. From repair to replacement parts delivered free to your door, they are very, very good.

I did however feel that the Swarovski EL binos do feel more "Ergonomically" friendly to hold and use.

Good luck, get to a Game Fair and try them all (in one stall if you can), if money is no object, you will be sure to get a pair that you are extremely happy with.

TJ

8x42 Leica geovid . All the way , rangefinder is brilliant and by no means compromise the optical quality, every bit as good as Swarovski El's , I have them both, but would use the Swarovski if I didn't need the rangefinder

ive got the Swarovski 8x42 range finding binos, wouldn't be without them now, yes not cheap but worth it

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL bought mine second hand from a little known shop in Tain
been back to Swarovski for a repair as there was a slight rattle on the focus mechanism, the cost FOC.

GOOD :
> Leica 8/8.5 x 42 BN

AVOID :
> Leica 8/8.5 x 42 BA

Not for stalking..in the older Trinovid that's totally arse about face and plain wrong!

BN = Binocular, NEAR FOCUS. BA = Binocula,r ARMOURED. BL = Binocular LEATHER.

The BA was to designate essentialy a product identical to its leather covered "twin" but instead rubber covered.

The BN series was to distinguish essentialy a product identical to its BA (rubber covered) "twin" but instead both rubber covered and with a closer focus capability between the immediately otherwise externally identical BA series.

So in truth it is more correctl, perhaps, a BAN as in Binocular, ARMOURED, NEAR FOCUS.

All this is no more nor less than Leica will tell you.

The BN has the focus factory adjusted to better view objects at very very, ultra, short distance (under six or so yards) than does the predecessor BA. But the price is that the BA is a better stalking directory as it is better set up to view objects out to infinity. It is still possible even with the very latest Leica to request that it be factory adjusted to give a better set up to view objects out to infinity instead of at ultra short distance.

Whoever told you that quoted original post is either talking guff or a birdwatcher or even butterfly spotter. Nothing wrong with either but they aren't a hill stalker that's sure....or if so they have no expertise in Leica products. BN is better for the birds and the butterflies. BA, or "BA specification" is better for the hill. For woodland stalking either will perform equally as well as the other.

But personally I still feel that the BA is better. I feel that I more still likely to need to see deer in close detail at six hundred yards than I do at six yards

Last edited:
I have the Leica 8x42 BL which you say to avoid. I think they are superb little binos, and considerably lighter and more compact than other 8x42s... My father has the 8.5x42 ELs. I would say that the image at very last light is slightly better in these, and I think they are slightly more ergonomic (for me), but they are also larger and a lot heavier... The BLs, being leather covered, also have a lovely retro look and feel to them. They are of course completely waterproof etc. A couple of scratches can appear on the exposed metal, but over the years this looks fine...

Back