Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle carry balance

Rifle carry balance

Ive found that with the rifle with (a very light maxim 4) mod and bipod that when slung the rifle falls back at a very uncomfortable/unsafe angle.

Do most of you sling a rifle with just the mod fitted?

Other thoughts most welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by trimix View Post
    Ive found that with the rifle with (a very light maxim 4) mod and bipod that when slung the rifle falls back at a very uncomfortable/unsafe angle.

Do most of you sling a rifle with just the mod fitted?

Other thoughts most welcome!!
    I carry mine upside down because of that. I'm quite tall though, so I can comfortably

I don't fit a bipod on my rifles anymore for this exact reason.

My rifle sits perfectly now without a pod.

Fit a swivel stud under the pistol grip and you will find it ballances much better

Carrying the rifle muzzle down is dangerous so much so it is even shown on the DSC2 Witness briefings and Candidate info as dangerous practice

If you want to try it before altering your stock just cable tie the sling to the pistol grip to try it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    Fit a swivel stud under the pistol grip and you will find it ballances much better

Carrying the rifle muzzle down is dangerous so much so it is even shown on the DSC2 Witness briefings and Candidate info as dangerous practice

If you want to try it before altering your stock just cable tie the sling to the pistol grip to try it
    Why is it dangerous and why do they teach it in dsc1?

I use a Z-Aim sling to counteract the weight of a heavy barrel and mod. Works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    Why is it dangerous and why do they teach it in dsc1?
    They dont teach it on DSC1 and its dangerous as you are likely to pug your muzzle

I can think of at least one, very experienced person on here who prefers you to use a downward carry if you are stalking with him, its something to do with an aversion to looking down the barrel of a rifle that has rotated backwards off the shoulder!
    PS you can tape your muzzle if you feel it is likely to become plugged.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

They do teach it on the dsc1. I did mine a few weeks ago, carried my rifle muzzle down and passed the safety test with no problems.If you are concerned about plugging your barrel the old black tape trick works well.

where have you got the sling attached to the bipod?