Spitzer vs round nose vs flat nose??

norfolk shooter

Just wondering what would be best suited to short range woodland stalking?? The woods where i go are rather dense and i dont really want to go off serching for the deer. So far with spitzer's thats been the case. Im thinking that the flat nose would diliver more energy to the beast. I would be loading it in a 30-06 mainly shooting munties and roe, im looking at 150 gr pill for this.

Any thoughts would be super many thanks

Lapua mega are a fairly blunt nosed conventional SP. I think that you can get them in 150, 185 and 200 grs weights.

the ones shaped like a .300win mag will stop them! :D

seriously though, I have some 100gn SP .243 Round Nose and they certainly seem to deliver a bit more of a slap than the soft points.
purely my feeling rather than any empirical evidence

I have the same problem of shooting in or nxt to dense cover, i have junked the soft points and gone to varmint type projectiles such as v max for small deer and it works for me.
very rarely you get a runner and if you do they dont usually go far.
Its a trade off the downside is more meat damage ,but i have found not nearly as bad as people can lead you to belive.
You will always get the odd one pretty well bruised if you hit bone much like softpoints can at times.
I did experiment with .30 cal sst's that seemed to kill fairly fast and certainly dropped a few in their tracks, but i didnt really shoot enough deer with them to give you an honest opinion. DF

Just wondering what would be best suited to short range woodland stalking?? The woods where i go are rather dense and i dont really want to go off serching for the deer. So far with spitzer's thats been the case. Im thinking that the flat nose would diliver more energy to the beast. I would be loading it in a 30-06 mainly shooting munties and roe, im looking at 150 gr pill for this.

Any thoughts would be super many thanks

ive used pro hunter round nose nosler bt, pro hunter spire point and hornady interloc all in 150grn 308. To be honest I wouldnt be able to tell you what bullet had been used on the basis of shot reaction or damage. I shot a small fox with the round nose broad side middle of the body and it ran 100m.

When I was in scotland and we were shooting red and sika on rides in dense spruce the suggestion from the stalker was to shoot higher in the shoulder and this worked well in terms of "dropping them on the spot" this was with .243.

you may consider a hollow point game king, they are not too bad on meat damage but heavy on the temporary wound tract and drops deer fast.

Back