Does anyone use a vacuum packer?

hi Andy L
the vacpac machine i bought was a foodsaver plus (please don't laugh to much) and the trays are from a locall poultry farm but hav seen them in makro hope this help a little
stone

Cheers Stone, So avoid the 'foodsaver plus' then. I am surprised because the name gives it that feeling of quality!!!! :lol:

please don't get me wrong the food saver plus does work a treat but the bags are expensive as you hav to use certain ones then if you buy a 10 metre roll like i did you have to cut the bag to size, seel one end, put meat in ,then vac pac it, very time consuming but it was cheap at the time

Vac Packer

Hi all

I stalk and cull a very large amount of fallow and butcher most of it myself. I use a vac packer that I bought from Scobies Direct it was one of the best things that I use. The small one that you see on TV is fine if you want to do one or two things but the big vac packers in the long run are cheaper and I get a shelf life of over 1 year on some cuts.
No I don't work for scobies I just buy all of my larder equipment from these people and save about 60% on most knives for the larder. So if you use boneing knives and saws have a look for yourselves
Happy hunting !!!

Morning all

I was waiting for someone to mention the fact that you get a longer freezer life with vac packing, without the freezer burn you get when using freezer or supermarket bags the only problem can be the need for special bags. Unless that is you eat nothing else and it isnt in the freezer that long.

cheers

Dickie

Cost of bags for vac packer

Hi all

Yes the cost vac bags are on the high side but you need to shop around and you can save money
I use the large vac bags and you can re-use them again,this keeps the cost down If you sell any of the meat and explain how good the bags are people don't mind paying a bit more.
We do some farm markets so we vac pack the meat and it keeps in the chiller of 3-4 weeks so when you sell to the public they take it home fresh they trend to buy a little more so you do save money in the long run
If any one wants a vac packer shop around for the bags and then cost out how much more your meat is worth

Took a look at Scobies website. Fantastic site but I think that the vacuum packers are a bit too professional for me (£££££!!!). I had never thought of the meat netting though. I think that I might get myself a couple of rolls of that, bone saw, boning knives.......Oh dear!

Yeah excellent site Scobies. Thanks for sharing the info. Bonesaw 22 inch £38 magic! :eek: I'm going to have to save my pennies and get some stuff I think. :D

OH Monster what have you done, i have been looking for someone like Scobies for years, soon as i saw your post i went and had a look, here i am an hour later and £90 lighter. :eek:
Very good prices, the freezer bags alone i have been paying eight times what they are charging.
Looks like they only sell quality gear, so no worries there, thanks for the heads up on that one.
Regards MT.

Vacuum packing machines

Hi,

I bought one of these units for 350 euros its a semi professional piece of kit.
http://www.lava-vacuum-packing.com/
Method is shoot the beast then cut meat up into required sizes, bag it up and use the machine to vac & seal.
This is the trick! you then put the meat into a normal fridge = no drips and a happy spouse. After 5 days the meat has aged as if by the normal hanging method in a chiller room (saves on buying the cabinet and the space needed) then pop the meat into the freezer where it will keep for max 18 months (only six months if not vac packed)

Cannot reccomend the kit highly enough.

Regards

Bavarianbrit

Have a look at there web site weschenfelder.co.uk there num 01642247524 i have bought off them the ell young no8 electric mince & the ell young VACUUM PACKER i think it cost me £175 inc del you do get some bags with it looks nice easy to use compact i have no complaints about it good luck :D

Monkey Spanker said:
I use one of these:
http://www.fresherpack.co.uk/products/1/1/vacuum_sealer_-_eiffel_freshpack_pro/
Bags or rolls up to 30cm in width which will do up to about a medium Fallow haunch. Has a small liquid reservoir underneath which makes it very hygienic and easy to clean. They do a larger pro version which is wider but costs a lot more. This one should be enough to satisfy a busy recreational stalker though. ;)
On your recommendation i just bought a sealer as above, does the job great,thanks for the advice.
Cheers
Richard

Back