Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same calibre multiple rifles

Same calibre multiple rifles

Does anyone know the rules to owning multiple rifles of the same calibre?

E.g. I currently have a .243 on my ticket and have the rifle. Can I go and buy another .243 without applying for anything?

Assuming you are living in the UK and have a UK FAC - No. If you do you will then have two .243 rifles, which is one more than you are licensed for.

i am in the uk its just a variation takes for ever where i live and i fancied changing my 243. paperwork!! nightmare.

I've never done a one for one swap. I understand how it is supposed to happen but I don't know how it works in practice. I suspect that each Force has it's own little foibles. I'm sure someone on here will have been through the mill, so if you post which force you are dealing with they may be able to give you the inside story.

west mercia!! need i say anymore?

firearms laws

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country
    I've never done a one for one swap. I understand how it is supposed to happen but I don't know how it works in practice. I suspect that each Force has it's own little foibles. I'm sure someone on here will have been through the mill, so if you post which force you are dealing with they may be able to give you the inside story.
    Why should we have to sit still for different forces interpreting UK law as they see fit?, Does the law change once your over the county line?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country
    Why should we have to sit still for different forces interpreting UK law as they see fit?, Does the law change once your over the county line?

Around the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire police authorities the usual course of action is to find someone to purchase your rifle (might be private or R.F.D ) you then have seven days to notify your police authority you have sold it and apply for a one 4 one variation at no cost. This should be the same for all authorities but to be 100% sure speak to your own F.O.
    Sorry forgot to say a Firearms certificate is different from a shotgun certificate in as much as you can only put on your firearms licence the calibre and amount of firearms that have been agreed by your police authority. On your shotgun certificate you can buy as many guns as your security arrangements allow. Again check with your F.O that's what he's paid for.
    paul

pw7x57 is 100% right to my knowlage and the one for one is free altho if you want to buy a second .243 and own 2 at he same time you will have to apply for a variation and that you will have to pay for (i think its about 30 but i cant honestly remember) and the variation may take weeks to cone back i live in wiltshire and the coppers down here are very good with firarms licensing and i even mayaged to push my .308 varation forward by going and collecting it from them but i think in general these people will not be rushed

same rifles

I am changing one of my rifles at the moment, as it will probably happen at the game fare ( hopeful of cheaper price) I have been instructed by my force, Sussex, to apply for a temp permit, on which my 308 details will be listed. they then put on my new 308, along with the new moderator on my existing firearm certificate, plus any extras that I require.
    The temp license is valid for one month from date of issue,BUT if you go down this road you are not allowed to use the original rifle from that date ,as the permit only allows you to possess.
    This is the only way to be able to keep my own rifle and show it to dealers to get the best deal on part exchange.
    total cost 26 for variation.
    Hope this helps