.223 using 55gr Sierra Game King's

RichardP

Hi Everyone

Is anyone using/used the above heads and finding that they are quite short to set them back from there rifle lands?, i have been working
up some loads of these heads and finding that they measure quite short to my rifles lands, i have played rule of thumb and have seated them
to there bullet dia: and they all group well and shoot ok, but they are sitting about 1.1mm deeper than i would have liked to trial.

Just wondering if any of you have found the same issue?

Thanks

Richard :)

I use a Tikka T3 Hunter in .223 for doing in the foxes and long rabbits. I used to use Sierra Gameking 55gr softpoints, and Hodgdon H335 powder running at 25.5gns. It produced 3085fps! But the end ft/lb was low due to that bullet acting like a brick when using the .223.
Switched to IMR XBR powder at 25.8gns, and Hornady 55gn V-MAX's, and ended up getting 3250fps (roughly 1290ft/lb) out of a .223. A mate tried it out on a roe, and dropped it down at 200yds in the woods..

I find that on the tikka t3 mags, you have to set the bullet and case length to 2.2", or else they won't fit into the mag. A 60gn v-max will fit at a push, but its tight, and still has to be pushed down to 2.2"

Thanks James.

FPS isnt an issue as im using VitN133 and thro the chrony the trial loads are flying, the magazine length also isnt a issue as they are going thro the top of a Howa 1500.
Just a shame i cant test more with the lengths, but we shall see how they go.

Rich....

Back