Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for 243 remmington

Ammo for 243 remmington

I have shook hand on a "as new" Remmy BDL .243, and would welcome any suggestions for ammo people have been confident/successful with a a starting point for the rifle. My previious rifle like federlal and I can get this easily. Roe/red stalking

Thanks in advance
    Geoff

As we don't know either what your rifle and barrel will like how can we really tell you brand X is the best.

If it were me I would try the ammunition you have and maybe obtain another box or two of different makes to try.

As an example I had a rifle that I was checking over and testing and brought some Remington 80 grain Express ammunition which it shot quite well however after a thorough cleaning several things emerged like the bolt handle being brazed back together this on a forged bolt on a P-H model 1000 so the rifel was rejected.

Later I tried the ammunition through a BSA majestic and the BSA hated it. Then months later the rest of the ammunition was tried through the Midland 2100 and it shot very nicely. Three rifles same box of ammunition and three differing results.

Barrels seem to be a law unto them selves so there is actually no way we can suggest an ammunition brand/type that will perform perhaps to your expectations except by pure luck.

Brit hunter - thanks for the reply, however I did say as a starting point, realise all are different, however thought if a few had some success with a bullet it was a decent starting point.

i just bought a .243 last week and was in the same situation as you. what i did was buy 4 boxes of different ammo of different sizes and wieghts etc. the ones i went for were hornady 58grvmax, hornady 95grn superformance and also 58gr superformance which are travelling very fast at 4000fps. my gun seemed to like all these but if i had to pick one it would be the 95grn. so begst off trying a bit of eveything first then thry find one that suits ur needs and gun best and go from there. but overall i find the hornady ammo very good indeed.

As said ever barrel seems to have it's own ideas what it likes. Some cartridges can be more fussy that others it seems. If it was not so there would be less choice offered as after all most would be all using one type.

Geoff
    As BH says above, you need to try out different rounds and see what works for you. I have some 96gr RWS which performs very well for me. Both Sako 90gr & 100gr performed well in my previous 243. RWS and Lapua 100gr are also premium options. Remington Core Lokt is another option.
    Good luck.
    JCS

Another repeat - try as many types as you can. I settled on Federal 100g for a CZ but swapping to a Remington 700 I found PRVI gave the best group.
    Good Luck
    Peter

you could do worse than asking the previous owner what worked for them.

Quote Originally Posted by marrajack View Post
    I have shook hand on a "as new" Remmy BDL .243, and would welcome any suggestions for ammo people have been confident/successful with a a starting point for the rifle. My previious rifle like federlal and I can get this easily. Roe/red stalking

Thanks in advance
    Geoff

Cheers for the feedback gents, good shout to ask previous owner -dohhhh in a homer simpson styleeee

If you are lucky you may find your rifle likes PPU.
    I put three shots onto a target at 100yds using my Blaser R93 and ended up with one enlarged hole.