Thread: High Seats for land clearance

High Seats for land clearance

Hi All,
    I am a new cert holder and am trying to get some land passed at home, I have a window that is just over 5.5 meteres high overlooking one of my fields that is flat, what would be a sensible range for a .243 with soft ground?

Thanks in advance

You are asking the impossible. It changes wet or dry, soil type, angle, target spicies, Bullet weight. Soft or ballistic tip. Experience of shot. When zeroing on an airfield, downward angle, soft grass surface, I saw a ricochet touch down for a second time about three hundred yards past the target. Possibly a stone in the soil. Margins and clear sight made it a safe occurrence but your field might not have a clear mile behind the target. a picture posted might help but you are still only getting guesses. Jim

I'll take one this evening, but there is oly about 250 yrds where I would be happy for a round to go so guess this may not be a good idea. This is purrely for foxes so I guess the chance of a round going through is slightly higher than perhaps other species.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskyfoxs View Post
    Hi All,
    I am a new cert holder and am trying to get some land passed at home, I have a window that is just over 5.5 meteres high overlooking one of my fields that is flat, what would be a sensible range for a .243 with soft ground?

Thanks in advance
    I'm in sussex where everything is flat until you reach the downs! - They like a .243 for deer and will often clear flat land with a restriction to high seat as long as there are no built up areas around. Difficult to say without having seen the land if it's comparable to stuff round here.

Best advice would be to do an ordinance map with your intended lines of fire and suggested high seat placement then send it to your FLO - they can then decide if you know what a safe line of fire is and whether it's worth bothering to have a look.