Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: midge repellant, indian tonic water???

midge repellant, indian tonic water???

just come back from rainy glasgow, midge time of year little b......ds get everywhere, i used avon sss probably never topped it up as often as i should have (lesson learnt )
    just read previous posts, not one mention of 'indian tonic water' a friend has suggested drinking it a few days before i go with or without gin.
    Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink flavored with quinine. However, it is not considered to be soda.

The drink gains its name from the medicinal effects of this bitter flavoring. The quinine was added to the drink as a prophylactic against malaria, since it was originally intended for consumption in tropical areas of South Asia and Africa where that disease is endemic.

has anybody got opinions on this?
    i got myself a buck so itchy happy chappy
    thanks
    craggy

Quote Originally Posted by Craggy View Post
    just come back from rainy glasgow, midge time of year little b......ds get everywhere, i used avon sss probably never topped it up as often as i should have (lesson learnt )
    just read previous posts, not one mention of 'indian tonic water' a friend has suggested drinking it a few days before i go with or without gin.
    Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink flavored with quinine. However, it is not considered to be soda.

The drink gains its name from the medicinal effects of this bitter flavoring. The quinine was added to the drink as a prophylactic against malaria, since it was originally intended for consumption in tropical areas of South Asia and Africa where that disease is endemic.

has anybody got opinions on this?
    i got myself a buck so itchy happy chappy
    thanks
    craggy

You don't usually get midges in the pub ,buy some smidge you'll feel better using it

No idea if it works but sounds like a theory worth putting to the test. atb Tim

Since when have scottish midges carried malaria.

The quinine was added because of its antimalarial properties. It is not and never has been sold as a repellant.

I was advised to try vitamin B1 to help to prevent insect bites, have not tried it yet but will give it a go, though i doubt anything less than a flamethrower is a waste of time against midges.

if you react badly to midge bites, try taking a piriton (or any other anti-histamine) BEFORE going out stalking.
    It wont stop the little bu66ers biting you but it will dramaticall reduce the localised reaction at bite and as such it will be a lot less itchy.

PS: The Avon sss seems to work for me but i have noticed that it has a short shelf life. Need a fresh bottle every season (or sooner)

Happy Scratching

CVK

In a word, no.

First, quinine doesn't act as a repellant. Second, almost all tonic water now available no longer actually contain real quinine.

Smidge is deffinately gaining popularity - folk we have sold to have stated that it works better than previous tried options...

6.99 + p&p @ http://www.monarchcountryproducts.co...&product_id=79

Regards

Rob
    www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories

I tried 3 different repellents last trip up there, Jungle formula, Boots own brand and lifesystems midge and mosquito.
    Even with all three applied at the same time and wearing a head net the little blighters still got to me.

How can something so small bite through skin?
    Attachment 17372
    Midge teeth magnified
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Found this on the topic of Avon SSS and its ability as a deterent. Personally, I do not rate it one bit. This article appears to suggest it just makes it harder for them to bite. That would be my experience with trying it years ago because they had no issue in landing on me which for me is the irritation, not the actual bite becasue I do not have any reaction to it. I still say the best product I have tried is Mossi Guard. Had it on me and the kids the otehr night on a damp windless evening (perfect midge weather) and not one of us were bothered after using it. However, as soon as we got out the car before applying the boys were immediately complaining about them so they were certainly out in force.

Avon Skin So Soft

One of the most unlikely sounding midge repellents is Skin-So-Soft from the Avon cosmetic company. This was initially launched as a bath oil in 1961 and has since grown to incorporate a range of products. It's status as one of the best known and most easily available midge repellents was entirely unforseen.
    Does It Work?

There as been much anecdotal evidence of the effectiveness of So Soft in deterring midge and mosquito bites. It has been used for years by individuals and even by the British Royal Marine Commandos.
    Although there doesn't appear to have been any serious scientific research on its effectiveness, many regular buyers are convinced buy of its effectiveness. It's often described as being the "original bug guard", although fans of citronella might take issue with that.
    How Does It Work?

If Avon So-Soft works to reduce midge bites, how does it do so?
    It appears that it is not strictly a repellent as such. It won't keep the midges at bay. What it seems to do is make it more difficult physically for them to bite by putting an oily layer over the skin. Clearly this means that it will only be effective on those parts of the body which are actually covered with So-Soft.
    Always read and follow the product instructions, in particular be extremely careful to avoid getting any cosmetics in the eyes. The unexpected success of Skin So Soft in the fight against midges has resulted in Avon producing version of the product with added insect repellent. You can now buy the Skin So Soft Bug Guard PLUS line of products which include the insect repellent IR 3535. Products in this line include Expedition, Picaridin and SPF15 Sunscreen which you can buy in a variety of forms such as bath oil, sun screen and towelettes.