Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing and practice near SW London ?

Zeroing and practice near SW London ?

Good morning,

2nd post on the forum so please be gentle !

As a newcomer to the sport I was wondering what the forum members based in or near London (without their own land) do when they want to run-in / zero a new rifle or just get a bit of off-season practice to keep one's eye in. Is the done thing to join the NRA and trek down to Bisley (there seems to be a monumental amount of paperwork, admin etc. involved) ? Are there any smaller ranges reachable from SW London ?

All tips, thoughts and recommendations gratefully received.

Regards,

M03.

If you are a BASC member, you can book a range at Bisley through the SE BASC office - it is a simple call or E-mail, you do not need to join the NRA.

Mike

Mike, thank you for the prompt response, I am a BASC member so I will give them a call to establish what is required. That could be a good option.

Eggy S, thank you for the link, I do shoot clays at WLSS regularly (45 for a 100-bird round, accompanied by an often talented guide who can give great tips, so almost like a cut-price lesson) but they charge 120/hr for time on the range and forgive me, but that seems rather steep to me !

Well my "range/field" takes me an hour door to door from SW and I won't charge you that!

If you ever want to go down you can give me a pm. But there might be closer that works for you.

Eggy S - a generous offer, thank you. I will drop you a PM.

For anyone interested in the Bisley / BASC route that Mike highlighted, this link has all the details: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/in-your-ar...d-stalking.cfm

My suggestion would be to join a rifle club, the paperwork can appear as onerous as getting an FAC, these are home office guidelines even if you have an FAC. It is well worth it, I have learnt a huge amount at the club and your 120 would probably cover you for most of the year.

I have a 100yd range on my lease in West Sussex near Horsham. I would be prepared to let you come over and sight in during the middle of the day in the next few weeks. Providing you have the relevant insurance and your ticket will allow it?

PM me if you want to go further with the idea.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Hi MauserM03
    As another alternative to the BASC you can also use the BSRC ranges at Bisley via the BDS
    A few of us in West London do that and it's handy plus a bit cheaper and more convenient than going through the whole sign up routine for the NRA if you want to avoid that.
    However, if like me you join the NRA you can visit without booking and head for the zeroing range which is a heck of a sight cheaper than booking the Siberia or Century range for a bit of zeroing or practice.
    If you do go down the Bisley route drop me a PM and if I'm heading there same time as you maybe I could offer you a lift.
    ATB
    T
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    Hi MauserM03
    As another alternative to the BASC you can also use the BSRC ranges at Bisley via the BDS
    A few of us in West London do that and it's handy plus a bit cheaper and more convenient than going through the whole sign up routine for the NRA if you want to avoid that.
    However, if like me you join the NRA you can visit without booking and head for the zeroing range which is a heck of a sight cheaper than booking the Siberia or Century range for a bit of zeroing or practice.
    If you do go down the Bisley route drop me a PM and if I'm heading there same time as you maybe I could offer you a lift.
    ATB
    T
    I've used the zero range a couple of times, and to be honest I can't see the point of it, 17.5 yrds or so, the zero is theoretical and dependant on knowing the muzzle velocity of the particular round you are using out of your rifle we normally just use it to confirm that the sights have actually adjusted up the relevant number of inches before going out to 1000 yrds. it doesn't mean the bullet is going to get there though :P if you are looking for a club then you could do worse than have a look at here, we have members from all over and meet once a month at Bisley
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."