Goose Shooting - who to go with and where?

White Hart

Hi all,

Just wanted to pick your brains. Im looking at going goose shooting with the lads, bit of a boys holiday... team of four possibly six guns all nice and safe BASC members etc.

Anyway where's the best place to go and with who? Scotland really takes our fancy.

Does anyone out there have any advise etc?

Cheers

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]www.ansersportingservices.co.uk [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Try here for some cracking goose shooting, highly recommended..[/FONT]

Sporting Safaris Scotland was an incredible guide. One of the best goose callers iv come across. Friendly guy, no bag limits, and good prices. Plus as said earlier, he shoots over the best land. We shot over stubbles in late december last season and we still managed a large bag!

If you want real wildfowling contact Angus council and get a permit for a week on the Montrose basin.
Be careful there is a lot of fly by night agents offering goose shooting and some are chancers
I used to have some of the best ground in Angus and I banned all agents due to nothing but Agro from them
They rape and pillage geese and pigeon and put nothing into the countryside some feed bits of farms to draw local shoots birds
I would speak to some of the wild fowl clubs and see f they can help and do some decant wildfowling
Best of luck

sorry maybe i read this wrong.. so all goose/pigeon guides get tied with same brush because YOU said so? the best ones(theres only a small number of them) will be booked already and have repeat bookings and dont endlessly advertise in shooting press....nothing more "decent" than geese raining into decoys.... i find your post abit unfair on reputable guides who work endlessly to provide the best sport......

WH,

Having been involved in the industry for a good while now, I have to agree with Ajfab, there are lots of shady characters out their. Some have been to jail in the past and are back in jail again (for a LOOONG time) yet still get mentioned in this thread. You really have to be very carefull who you pick. I've been a wildfowler since I was 10 and would encourage anybody who is looking to go after 'fowl to give it a try. This way YOU create your own sport and chances. Just don't expect miraculous instant results, it takes time, but the rewards are great.
Having said that, if for some reason the foreshore isn't for you, decoying the field can produce some spectacular sights and enjoyment.

Cheers,
Mark

agree with you mark. ALOT of one hit wonders around!
ask around the guys who do alot of it, the best will be booked and not have adverts in every magazine going, not be tied up in public slanging matches/disputes (these also claim to be the best) goose decoying is one of the best forms of sport there is imo.

Guys

Really appreciate the reply's, I value everybody's comments and sorry if I've caused a ruckus. Thanks for giving me your honest opinions as well.

I guess looking at how people are booked up tells a story.

Cheers again,

Nick

Agreed. We haven't paid to advertise for over 8 years now. The back of the magazines are not the best place to look IMHO.

Mj
We were just talking about lee the other night ! Has someone taken over his business while he is inside ?

Didn't know about "lee robb" - how long did he get?
(I booked a few days stalking with him years ago - didn't know he was a bad lad)

It's not for me to say, but, just be sure you know who your dealing with before you hand over any deposits! :-|

Have a Google at DV Sporting, one of the good guys in the Borders and Lothians, specially for a boys weekend.

Moose

Back