Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I need?

What do I need?

Thinking of going down the path to reloading for my .270,so basically what would I need as a basic set up to start with,I don't want to spend a fortune to start with, just want the right stuff to make up a few rounds from time to time then upgrade as needed and what sort of cost would I be looking at? any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Jase.

Something like this:-

And a plastic or nylon faced hammer plus of course some Bullets, primers and Powder to fill your cases with .

The newer ones come in Red Plastic boxes.

+1
    I have used these kits for 223. 243 and 308. Not as good as a full set up( which I also have) but quick and cheap.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Cheers lads ,how much are these and what are the results like with these kits?

I can appreciate you not wanting to dive in swapping a healthy bank balance for every piece of "must have" loading equipment however given the nature of the subject I really would start with a half decent set of balances at least you will be able to compare and develope batches. If it was my face inches from the breech I wouldn't be relying on a plastic scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by photopro View Post
    I can appreciate you not wanting to dive in swapping a healthy bank balance for every piece of "must have" loading equipment however given the nature of the subject I really would start with a half decent set of balances at least you will be able to compare and develope batches. If it was my face inches from the breech I wouldn't be relying on a plastic scoop.
    I was wondering what that was for,I thought it was Popeye's pipe I don't want cheap and maybe dangerous stuff,but don't want spend a fortune on the latest must have stuff either.
    Jase.

Just goes to show a little knowledge can be dangerous .

The plastic scoop is a powder measure and it measures the same way that factory ammunition is loaded by "VOLUME" not weight.

Sorry I did miss the scales off the list as you might need them to perfect your "Dipping" technique. One you have done so your charge weights will vary very little.

There is nothing dangerous about the Lee Classic Loader unless a total idiot uses it incorrectly. Same can be said of the most expensive "O" frame press.

Now the Lee Loader has been in use for over half a century quite safely too. Unless your a real clutz or a ham fisted moron then there will be not problems. They even made a target model which not only neck sizes but also reams the neck in the die so it's the same thickness of neck all round but also perfectly aligned. The hand loaded rounds produced with a Lee Loader if a bullet, powder and primer that your rifles likes is used will shoot very well indeed. The handicap is usually the "nut behind the Butt"

There are several people on these forums that use the Lee Loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Just goes to show a little knowledge can be dangerous .

The plastic scoop is a powder measure and it measures the same way that factory ammunition is loaded by "VOLUME" not weight.

Sorry I did miss the scales off the list as you might need them to perfect your "Dipping" technique. One you have done so your charge weights will vary very little.

There is nothing dangerous about the Lee Classic Loader unless a total idiot uses it incorrectly. Same can be said of the most expensive "O" frame press.

Now the Lee Loader has been in use for over half a century quite safely too. Unless your a real clutz or a ham fisted moron then there will be not problems. They even made a target model which not only neck sizes but also reams the neck in the die so it's the same thickness of neck all round but also perfectly aligned. The hand loaded rounds produced with a Lee Loader if a bullet, powder and primer that your rifles likes is used will shoot very well indeed. The handicap is usually the "nut behind the Butt"

There are several people on these forums that use the Lee Loaders.
    Thanks for that Kev,is it for sale by any chance? or is it being babysat by your local constabulary.
    Jase.

JK buy yourself a reloading book there are a number of things you need to understand, also the book will give you loading data i.e. minimum and maximum charge weights. I don't have a problem whether you take my advice or not but you did ask on a public forum and I know what route you will eventually take despite the crass comments.

Quote Originally Posted by photopro View Post
    JK buy yourself a reloading book there are a number of things you need to understand, also the book will give you loading data i.e. minimum and maximum charge weights. I don't have a problem whether you take my advice or not but you did ask on a public forum and I know what route you will eventually take despite the crass comments.
    Yep looking for a book tomorrow,I only asked on here because if was going to be too expensive for the ammont of ammo I use,would it be worth it? if I go down the reloading route I will want to do it properly,and as for the crass comments I don't know what I've said thay could be seen as crass,but I'm sorry if I,ve offended you.
    Jase