What do I need?

jase kaye

Thinking of going down the path to reloading for my .270,so basically what would I need as a basic set up to start with,I don't want to spend a fortune to start with, just want the right stuff to make up a few rounds from time to time then upgrade as needed and what sort of cost would I be looking at? any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks Jase.

Something like this:-

P6070202-1.jpg

P6070203.jpg

And a plastic or nylon faced hammer plus of course some Bullets, primers and Powder to fill your cases with :D.

The newer ones come in Red Plastic boxes.

+1
I have used these kits for 223. 243 and 308. Not as good as a full set up( which I also have) but quick and cheap.

I can appreciate you not wanting to dive in swapping a healthy bank balance for every piece of "must have" loading equipment however given the nature of the subject I really would start with a half decent set of balances at least you will be able to compare and develope batches. If it was my face inches from the breech I wouldn't be relying on a plastic scoop.

I can appreciate you not wanting to dive in swapping a healthy bank balance for every piece of "must have" loading equipment however given the nature of the subject I really would start with a half decent set of balances at least you will be able to compare and develope batches. If it was my face inches from the breech I wouldn't be relying on a plastic scoop.

I was wondering what that was for,I thought it was Popeye's pipe:eek: I don't want cheap and maybe dangerous stuff,but don't want spend a fortune on the latest must have stuff either.
Jase.

Just goes to show a little knowledge can be dangerous :rolleyes:.

The plastic scoop is a powder measure and it measures the same way that factory ammunition is loaded by "VOLUME" not weight.

Sorry I did miss the scales off the list as you might need them to perfect your "Dipping" technique. One you have done so your charge weights will vary very little.

There is nothing dangerous about the Lee Classic Loader unless a total idiot uses it incorrectly. Same can be said of the most expensive "O" frame press.

Now the Lee Loader has been in use for over half a century quite safely too. Unless your a real clutz or a ham fisted moron then there will be not problems. They even made a target model which not only neck sizes but also reams the neck in the die so it's the same thickness of neck all round but also perfectly aligned. The hand loaded rounds produced with a Lee Loader if a bullet, powder and primer that your rifles likes is used will shoot very well indeed. The handicap is usually the "nut behind the Butt"

There are several people on these forums that use the Lee Loaders.

Just goes to show a little knowledge can be dangerous :rolleyes:.

The plastic scoop is a powder measure and it measures the same way that factory ammunition is loaded by "VOLUME" not weight.

Sorry I did miss the scales off the list as you might need them to perfect your "Dipping" technique. One you have done so your charge weights will vary very little.

There is nothing dangerous about the Lee Classic Loader unless a total idiot uses it incorrectly. Same can be said of the most expensive "O" frame press.

Now the Lee Loader has been in use for over half a century quite safely too. Unless your a real clutz or a ham fisted moron then there will be not problems. They even made a target model which not only neck sizes but also reams the neck in the die so it's the same thickness of neck all round but also perfectly aligned. The hand loaded rounds produced with a Lee Loader if a bullet, powder and primer that your rifles likes is used will shoot very well indeed. The handicap is usually the "nut behind the Butt"

There are several people on these forums that use the Lee Loaders.

Thanks for that Kev,is it for sale by any chance? or is it being babysat by your local constabulary.
Jase.

JK buy yourself a reloading book there are a number of things you need to understand, also the book will give you loading data i.e. minimum and maximum charge weights. I don't have a problem whether you take my advice or not but you did ask on a public forum and I know what route you will eventually take despite the crass comments.

JK buy yourself a reloading book there are a number of things you need to understand, also the book will give you loading data i.e. minimum and maximum charge weights. I don't have a problem whether you take my advice or not but you did ask on a public forum and I know what route you will eventually take despite the crass comments.

Yep looking for a book tomorrow,I only asked on here because if was going to be too expensive for the ammont of ammo I use,would it be worth it? if I go down the reloading route I will want to do it properly,and as for the crass comments I don't know what I've said thay could be seen as crass,but I'm sorry if I,ve offended you.
Jase

I dont use a scoop its not that exact, a powder scale is the best way to go. I have loaded for all my calibres for the past 18 years and I always use Hodgon powder and an Rcbs kit and I shoot a 270 and always have done.

I dont think calling anyone a clut or a nut is the right way to answer a thread...........is it.

I dont use a scoop its not that exact, a powder scale is the best way to go. I have loaded for all my calibres for the past 18 years and I always use Hodgon powder and an Rcbs kit and I shoot a 270 and always have done.

I dont think calling anyone a clut or a nut is the right way to answer a thread...........is it.

Perhaps it's my age? perhaps it's the people I have known but I recall the old "saw" about the most dangerous component of the motor car is the "Nut Holding the steering wheel".

A play on words of course which points out that no matter how many safety features are fitted the "nut holding the steering wheel" is still the most likely source of an accident or danger.

Now the "nut behind the Butt" well if the afore mentioned Nut cannot shoot well them not matter how good the ammunition or how expensive the tools used to make it may be there results on target will not be the best.

I really did not think that I would have to break it down and explain this :rolleyes:.

As for powder scoops unless your familiar with their use then perhaps comment is best reserved ;).

I started loading the 270 Winchester cartridge for myself in 1992 and had been loading .38 Spl, .41AE and .357 for several years prior to that. For pistol I first used scoops and scales then brought an auto disk of course for the 270 Win that was not suitable so it was back to scoops until a few years later I acquired the Uniflow powder measure which I still have.

Due to space constraints it's tucked away in a drawer and for the last Eight years all my hand loading has been done using Lee Powder scoops. So I have been re-loading and hand loading for a quarter of a century :smug:.

Clutz of course is a careless or clumsy person :rolleyes:.

Thanks for that Kev,is it for sale by any chance? or is it being babysat by your local constabulary.
Jase.

Jase no it's not for sale and it's not in Police custody. They missed some stuff. I think they ran out of van capacity :rofl:. You would not believe some stuff they missed.

Shame it's such a trip as I not only have this Lee Loader but also the Rock Chucker and RCBS 270 Win dies, Lee Hand primer and a "few" reloading manuals plus other books on reloading.

This Lee Loader is just one in a small collection of them.

I have just started reloading - fired my very first reloaded rounds on Sunday. I have built it round a RockChucker press - saw on a thread that Brithunter had one so I thought if it's good enough for BH.....
Very pleased with the kit, and still waiting for some bits and bobs to arrive.

Sorry, BH off-topic but what's the story behind the 'in police custody'? Apologise if I'm prying.

Yep looking for a book tomorrow,I only asked on here because if was going to be too expensive for the ammont of ammo I use,would it be worth it? if I go down the reloading route I will want to do it properly,and as for the crass comments I don't know what I've said thay could be seen as crass,but I'm sorry if I,ve offended you.
Jase

You haven't offended me - PM sent.
Duck.gif

I have just started reloading - fired my very first reloaded rounds on Sunday. I have built it round a RockChucker press - saw on a thread that Brithunter had one so I thought if it's good enough for BH.....
Very pleased with the kit, and still waiting for some bits and bobs to arrive.

Sorry, BH off-topic but what's the story behind the 'in police custody'? Apologise if I'm prying.

If you have a look back to March/April 2011 in the legal forum you will find the story. I won't go into it here as frankly it brings out too much back biting.

Oh yes as for reloading gear I also have the Lee Turret presses I started out with for my pistol loading, a Lyman Spar-T and the Rock Chucker. I used to have all three set up on a bench but lack the space here so have just the RC set up on a temp basis. Likewise my Uniflow powder measure is laying in a drawer as no space to use it. My RC came from the estate sale of our club secretary after his unexpected sudden death.

Last edited:
PM sent.
mine is in the classifieds since I upgraded to the one with the neck reamer and primer tool.

it works just fine and produced these from interlocks and N160 without the aid of scales!

IMAG0233.jpg

How many calibers have you loaded for over the last 18 years? I load for 100 different calibers, over the last 40 years and have used scoops with great success. Do you use an RCBS style powder measure? If so, I must ask, what is the difference between that and a scoop? Both are volumetric measures.~Muir

PS: If you're weighing every charge you're wasting your time.

:rofl: well I am a beginner compared to Muir. Currently I own 19 sets of dies for different cartridges. The Lee Loaders I have I already had dies for being 6mm Remington, .222 Remington, 270 Winchester and 280 Remington.

I have over the years sold dies too or surrendered them such as the .41AE dies but to date I have loaded for at least another 10 cartridges.

Back