22-250 - Difference in loading data

wayneinthepub

I have just turned the scales on to warm up and was having a look at the load data for IMR 8208 XBR with 40 grain V Max and the figures from the Hornady book are considerably different to the IMR website.

The maximum load in the Hornady book is 36.5 grain and on the IMR website is 39 grain. This seems like quite a big differance for a maximum load.

Does these seem OK ?

Whilst working up should I stop at the books recommended maximum load or IMR's website.

What is the vintage of your Hornady book? When in doubt, start with the lowest listed charge and work up.... as you should always do when facing conflicting data.~Muir

PS: The Hodgdon site is the definitive source. They make the powder after all. Right?

Thanks Muir

Its the latest I think (8th Edition). I have used the data on the Hodgdon website before when loading 50 grain Nosler BT with H380 and ended up at the maximum load to get the best groups but with no signs of pressure so the information is to be trusted.

It just seemed like a big difference 2.5 grains on the maximum recommended loads.

Best regards

Wayne

Thanks Muir

Its the latest I think (8th Edition). I have used the data on the Hodgdon website before when loading 50 grain Nosler BT with H380 and ended up at the maximum load to get the best groups but with no signs of pressure so the information is to be trusted.

It just seemed like a big difference 2.5 grains on the maximum recommended loads.

Best regards

Wayne

Different bass and different barrel is what makes the difference. Smaller internal capicity brass due to thicker walls and possibly tighter chamber and bore all help to raise pressures.

We had a go at reloading some 8028XBR powder in my mates .223 with a Sierra 55gr soft point.

The load recommended by Hodgdon shot well enough, but looking at the case, it was very sooty around the necks, and when inspecting the primer, it didnt seem as if there was enough pressure in the case.
We ended up working up a load (which was quite a bit beyond Hodgdons maximum) without any obvious signs of excess pressure etc. all the time with access to a chrony to see the results too

Obviously this is for a .223 and not a 22/250.....

Back