Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League Against Cruel Sports latest anti shooting film, Gunsmoke and Mirrors

League Against Cruel Sports latest anti shooting film, Gunsmoke and Mirrors

Hi,

You may have seen the League Against Cruel Sports latest anti shooting film, Gunsmoke and Mirrors. Although its aimed at game shooting , some of the images showed deer remains too, in the context of accusations of ‘dumping’

The anti-shooting video made by the League Against Cruel Sports was removed from YouTube and Vimeo after BASC accused the organisation of breach of copyright.

BASC reported the League Against Cruel Sports to both internet sites because it had included a clip from BASC’s own film “An Introduction to Pheasant Shooting”.

BASC heard today that both YouTube and Vimeo, the two main film-hosting web channels, had removed the League’s anti-shooting video, Gunsmoke and Mirrors, while the copyright issue was resolved.

The video has now been re-edited and re-published. The copyrighted material has been removed.

Gunsmoke and Mirrors is littered with factual inaccuracies and misrepresents shooting. We took immediate action to ensure BASC material could not be included.

To watch BASC’s film An Introduction to Pheasant Shooting and introduction to stalking and other BAS C films see , visit http://www.youtube.com/user/BASCfilms

You can, of course leave (polite and accurate) comments about the leagues film on their YouTube page.

David

League of cruel sports must have forgotten about this then: search for League Against Cruel Sports sanctuary expose on you tube might be worh referencing this video on any your tube posts.

Jason

i found the trailer for it . Notice the advertisements below . One is for a game farm.

David the full video is still on youtube

Well, I stand opposed to the LACS as strongly as the next man but, I watched that all the way through and thought that it was very professionally put together and, being totally honest, the only two things that were shown on the video that I haven't seen with my own two eyes were the buried dog and dumped pheasants.

Yes, of course there is emotive language used and the negative points are strongly emphasised but thats life, lets face it, its no different to a video that promotes deer management emphasising the welfare of the herd/habitat damage prevention etc whilst not talking about trophy/sport stalking?

If BASC is so concerned about its content then why bring it to the attention of another 8000+ members of this site? I for one would have been blissfully unaware of its existence if I hadn't read Davids post and the subsequent replies. I think that the gameshooting industry should be grateful that this was on You Tube with a limited audience rather than on Channel 4.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending LACS, their deer management history alone is enough for me to condemn them, but I think that we would be very foolish to write them off.

I suppose that we'll now get ten pages of comments shooting me down so I'll log off and get on with my evening but all I ask is, only comment if you've bothered to watch the video and have sufficient experience of gameshooting to say, with all honesty, that my opinion is wrong?

JC

What is frustrating is how little these people, and anti's in general, actually know or understand about conservation/animal populations;

Bit off track... but I remember a conversation with a friend who was a rabid environmentalist (she had no formal qualifications in this - Geography degree I think). I'd read some pretty convincing research on sea turtle populations which demonstrated that now matter how many beaches you protected it made VERY little difference to the population as there was a bottle neck around the sub adults who were getting caught in nets*.

Anyway, no matter how many times I demonstrated this to her, or showed her the four or five peer reviewed papers on it, she just said I was an idiot and so were the 12 international experts in sea turtles - professors of Zoology/Ecology/Maths - and that clearly none of them had a clue about conservation and they were all clearly 'sponsored' to find these results.

There is(or used to be) a "Green" festival in Newcastle - 2 days of conservation - it took 4 days to pick the litter up afterwards.

These examples can be repeated over and over - these people are generally idiots; and hypocritic idiots at that - as Ray (remember him) used to say "don't argue with idiots they will only win you hands down with their depressive expertise"??? I think what he was saying was:

"A closed mind is like a closed book - basically a block of wood" don't know who said that but I like it.

We are all guilty of this (some on here more than others )but none as much as the vast majority of the Anti brigade.... and they will never be persuaded.

Not that I'm a fan of Pheasant shooting ..... far as I can see its just inefficient farming ..... but that's just personal choice.

*Matrix modeling of sea turtle populations (I think – 10 -15 years old now).
    Last edited by OSS32; 10-07-2012 at 18:31. Reason: err txt

What a load of biased drivel.

1. pheasant dumping: half their images of the "dump pits" only contains parts of the animals that are not edible. For example a deers head/hoof, pheasant heads and wings. After we have taken off the edible meat how else are we meant to dispose of the inedible parts as the council don't take kindly to picking them up

They said the pheasants are contained in the pens to make them easier to drive, yet they clearly show later in the film they are not driven from the pens, but are in fact driven towards the pens thus making them free range.

I wonder how many endangered species Tom the cat has murdered on his nightly prowls.

I could carry on all night but I have to better things to do like wash my hair.

I loved the "pheasant dumping in a secret location" all of 5 or 6 birds in a pit surrounded by fence posts and chicken wire...very covert!

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Well, I stand opposed to the LACS as strongly as the next man but, I watched that all the way through and thought that it was very professionally put together and, being totally honest, the only two things that were shown on the video that I haven't seen with my own two eyes were the buried dog and dumped pheasants.

Yes, of course there is emotive language used and the negative points are strongly emphasised but thats life, lets face it, its no different to a video that promotes deer management emphasising the welfare of the herd/habitat damage prevention etc whilst not talking about trophy/sport stalking?

If BASC is so concerned about its content then why bring it to the attention of another 8000+ members of this site? I for one would have been blissfully unaware of its existence if I hadn't read Davids post and the subsequent replies. I think that the gameshooting industry should be grateful that this was on You Tube with a limited audience rather than on Channel 4.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending LACS, their deer management history alone is enough for me to condemn them, but I think that we would be very foolish to write them off.

I suppose that we'll now get ten pages of comments shooting me down so I'll log off and get on with my evening but all I ask is, only comment if you've bothered to watch the video and have sufficient experience of gameshooting to say, with all honesty, that my opinion is wrong?

JC
    The video is made to manipulate the people who haven't had the privilege of seeing these thing like you have and being able to make a fully informed opinion. Thats the point.