rspb and game-shooting

User00003

the rspb has a job the mrs is very suitable for, but are they against shooting game? (which she loves) - ie. would her enjoyment of game shooting potentially compromise her career within conservation?

personally I don't see why you can't do both:confused:

Once the whackos in the RSPB find out she shoots birds then I would assume they will make her life a living hell at work.

Last edited:
I would advise her to apply, get an interview and find out a bit more about the job and get a feel for the people involved. Nothing lost in doing that. Better than wondering 'What if?' Glyn.

The RSPB doesn't directly oppose game shooting, as long as it's legal. In fact it takes place on some of their land, where it has been the condition of a bequest that shooting is allowed to continue.

She should go for it. The RSPB carry out pest control on some of their reserves and whilst a cynic would question it, their official line is that they are neutral on shooting.

Get her to go for it, if she gets the job (or indeed doesn't) and gets discriminated against for her shooting interests the RSPB will be in breach of employment regulatons. atb Tim

U'd be mad not to go for it, not an awful lot of jobs around in the conservation/environmental scene esp if semi local and choice be even more limited if u won't work for th
ose type of groups. Mibee she can try and educate some of the 'whacko's' from the inside.

When i was first asked to join local wildlife trust commitee they did look at me a bit strange as i'm the only shooter and the rest are total bunny huggers. I'm trying to educate them slowly, and it means i can influence some of the guest speakers, we've had simon lester (head grouse keeper, langholm project) and hopefully someone from the game conservancy this year to talk about predator control. Can see that going down well :stir: althou they still willnae let me set larsen traps for corbies and then they wonder why very few birds ever hatch never mind fledge young:banghead:

Good luck if she decides to go for it

No reason she shouldn't be fine; wouldn't mention it in the interview, unless directly questioned. I know a few members of the RSPB who shoot in one form or another. Me for one.

I know a (possibly former - but not because of shooting) employee who did a fair bit of pest control.

RSPB are well into shooting in order to pretect certain areas.

Apart from that, she could be handy as an "inside man! hahahahaha

My neck of the woods as well, keep me informed of what the loonies are up to !

I went for an interview with them once, many years ago. All was going swimmingly, qualifications were above what they wanted and the interview was nearly over and I had been told I was just what they were looking for! Then atmosphere turned very frosty when I was asked about my hobbies and I told them "All country Pursuits". "Do you mean game shooting?" said the inspector interviewing me. "Yes, fishing and hunting too", I said. That was it, they told me I was unsuitable for the position.

I tried the RSPCA too, same result.

Simon

Then atmosphere turned very frosty when I was asked about my hobbies and I told them "All country Pursuits". "Do you mean game shooting?" said the inspector interviewing me. "Yes, fishing and hunting too", I said. That was it,

As a recruiter of 15 years I would advise anyone against detailing their personal interests at an interview.
They shouldn't care if you like collecting stamps, tying flies or dogging and the policies of the BNP. can you do the job?

they are exactly that. Personal interests.
Keep them that way until you can be sure that you are not being judged on interests that are of no relevance to the job

I'd say go for it.

It largely seems to depend on the specific people doing the interviewing and which office/part of the country you're in. I know several people who work for the RSPB and are themselves active shooters - and they've never had any problems. There are plenty of sensible people working for them who fully understand (and actively support) field sports, since they realise that the two agendas usually complement each other.

It's sad and frustrating that, in general, both sides most often think that conservation and field sports are utterly incompatible. They're not, at all. But the more rabid and unhinged on both sides tend to polarise the debate. For every greenie wacko on one side, there's a gibbering loon on the other...

Would go for it too - I used to work for such an organisation - stalking and shooting did come up at the interview but I hopefully had a reasoned argument as I got the job. Perhaps prepare to answer questions about it in the interview.

As a full time employee of rspb, I assure you that it should not have any influence. BUT, we are dealing with an organisation with over 2000 employees, so there are individuals who may have opinions!

Pm me if. You want to chat about it

As a recruiter of 15 years I would advise anyone against detailing their personal interests at an interview.
They shouldn't care if you like collecting stamps, tying flies or dogging and the policies of the BNP. can you do the job?

they are exactly that. Personal interests.
Keep them that way until you can be sure that you are not being judged on interests that are of no relevance to the job

Sound advice!

Plus, if she gets the job, you can buy her a mini camera to photograph documents with, give her a code name and have all kinds of 'spy related' fun! :)

Back