Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam from Herefordshire

Adam from Herefordshire

Hi,

I'm Adam and I live in west Herefordshire. I'm very new to deer stalking but I think I'm in danger of becoming obsessed!

I have Fallow, Roe and Muntjac on my permissions across Herefordshire and South Shropshire. Most of my stalking experience has been with mates, using their rifles on their land, but I have been shooting Munties with my .223Rem on my land.

I've just completed my DMQ1 and I'm looking to build up some 'trained hunter' stalking experience over the next few months before getting to grips with my DMQ2 in the Autumn. As soon as the DMQ cert' arrives in the next couple of weeks, I'll be putting in my variation for a deer calibre rifle - probably a .270Win as I have a chance of a serious bargain locally, have some knowledge of that calibre's foibles and can maybe avoid divorce by not buying another expensive rifle Hopefully I can offer some stalking on my permissions in return for some support from a more experienced stalker on the finer points of lymph node identification and assessment!

Much of the deer stalking around here is tied up with the Deer Initative people and therefore seems a bit of a clique and difficult to access...(perhaps that's just a local thing?).

I'm already finding this forum really useful and I'm seriously interested in the opportunity on offer for some stalking experience on Highland reds, having spent a lot of childhood on and around the Attadale estate nr Strathcarron.

Cheers,

Adam.

new

Hi Adam,welcome to the site,ive not long got into stalking myself so ive no real experience to offer,but you'll find lots of guys that can on the site,im not far from you in malvern,good luck with your leval 2.
    Andy

welcome

Hi Adam

Welcome to the site

There are lots of decent people on the site who will be happy to help - ouch, .270

Its a tricky one though, no doubt you want something noticably different from the 223, get ready for lots of advice!

Cheers

Daemon

Re: welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Daemo
    Hi Adam

Welcome to the site

There are lots of decent people on the site who will be happy to help - ouch, .270

Cheers

Daemon

I've tried a couple of moderated .270s and didn't find the recoil much different to that of a short-barrelled .308 - but then I do have the physique of a substantial brick-built outbuilding

However the ballistics look good - exterior and terminal - and they are seriously untrendy, therefore seriously cheap (which is a major issue after the rifle, truck and scope buying spree I've been on lately!

Thanks for the welcomes.

Adam.

welcome

Hiya mate

I think there are plenty of good reasons for a .270, other people will be able to answer this, but am I right in thinking its a non military round and therefore welcomed all over the world, unlike many .30 calibres?

Ive got a .243, but with my very very limited knowedge - id be tempted to add a .270 at some point. Good for plenty of game species from what im told, not too harsh with a mod on - and as you say, out of fashion and potentially a bargain.

Funnily enough I initially asked for a .270 on my FAC application as it covers all UK species (in case I ever get a chance at boar) - I got laughed at by the FLO!

Daemon

WElcome aboard.
    where abouts are you i'm in north west herefordshire myself

Jonathon

Welcome

Welcome aboard Adam. Good here isn't it!!??
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint
    WElcome aboard.

Jonathon
    Jonathan - I'm in Leominster, whereabout are you?

Adam.

Re: Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    Welcome aboard Adam. Good here isn't it!!??
    MS
    Hello Mick,

Did you finish you doe cull?

Yes, it's an excellent forum - thanks for the heads-up! We were just talking about you today - Howard (came after the munties with you and I) has now got your black Vit' as I bought a LWB version.

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint
    WElcome aboard.

Jonathon
    Jonathan - I'm in Leominster, whereabout are you?

Adam.
    Hi Adam
    Live in Pembridge so not many miles away

Jonathon