Thread: carrying firearm for third party

carrying firearm for third party

If you buy a firearm remotely (phone, internet etc), is it possible for a third party to pick the gun up and bring it to you? Ie. can you get a mate who happens to be passing the seller to carry it for you? In fact, is it ever legal for someone to transport a firearm that dosn't belong to them?

Just curious.

I would very much doubt it mate. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys on here will correct me if i'm wrong, but if you purchase a firearm, online for example, and it's sent to your RFD then YOU must collect it as it will need to be entered on your cert and the paperwork sent to the local coppers. Even if your mate had an FAC with the necessary open slot, it would be registered on his cert, and he would then need to transfer it to you, filling in the relevant paperwork and informing the cops...headache...much easier to collect it in person

I'm pretty sure it's only legal for someone to transport a firearm thats registered on thier certificate, and therefore belongs to them.

Hope that helps

Atb

Hi Mungo,

The scenario you posted would be in order if it was an airgun you were buying and providing your mate who "was passing" was old enough and not "banned" from possessing the airgun due to previous convictions. imprisonment ect.

For any weapon on Certificate its a no no. The transactions must be face to face or RFD to RFD. As far as transportation goes, I'm sure that there are licensed Couriers who are authorised to transport firearms that the RFDs use but not anyone who is passing.

Atb

Bob

Blog Entries
    Realisticly no.

Only alternative being that they have a suitable slot on their Firearms Cert (Assuming Section 1) That they buy it , record it on their Certificate and then give it/ sell it to you, recording it as transferred on your ticket and reporting the transfer in the usual way.

Much easier if its a shotgun of course because you dont need the specific calibre on your ticket.

Thanks for the replies.

Thought that would be the case, but worth making sure.

How do the couriers do it? Do they have special permits?

[QUOTE=Mungo;407954]Thanks for the replies.

Thought that would be the case, but worth making sure.

How do the couriers do it? Do they have special permits? yes

ownership is irrelevant
    Authority to possess is the key.

i have someone else's rifle but it is on my FAC. variation is cheaper and quicker than an RFD's costs and the courier at times!