Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Scope

Cheap Scope

Now then, I can just feel the "Buy a second hand S+B" brigade warming up. Much as I hate to start my post on a negative that is not the question I am asking.

I am looking at two scopes to stick on a 222.

1) Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 Duplex Reticule.

2) MTC Genesis 5-20x50 Illuminated Reticule.

I can get both round about the same price. I already have a 1700 scope on my .270 so know all about quality glass but the truth is in years gone by I shot more vermin with an 80 Nikko Stirling than I can recall.

Anyone has knowledge of both these models for comparison is appreciated.

Ian

Account Suspended
    hi
    i have a nikko diamond 30mm tube on my 22lr old school one without those silly green caps, bloody amazing glass for 80 second hand 3x9x42 i think and 1,500 quids worth on my 243 and 270 not the same i know but its a dam clear scope for beer money i wont sell it for nothing or change it

Hi ian,

Havent heard very good reports about the mtc at all, altough that is just taken at the word of others, actually heard the tiapan is a better scope which i have seen through and is pretty good for the money.

I am the same as you have decent quality glass on my 222 & 243 but i wanted something half decent but for my 22 but not in the 1000's so i picked up a mint burris fullfield 2 4.5-14x44 bp ret for a good price and its a cracking little scope not as clear at the euro glass but to be honest not that much in it!! obviously not as bright in dusk dawn situations due to the 44 obj but for the money i defo cant fault it!! like it better than the leup and bush 6500 i had.

i think the old nikon monarch is the same glass as the burris (mite be wrong) but they changed when they brought out the new range of monarch/ monarch e/ monarch 3 etc and i dont think it is supposed to be as good quality. I havent seen any new monarchs just going on reviews i have read.

Cheers rob

Quote Originally Posted by Briarquest View Post
    Now then, I can just feel the "Buy a second hand S+B" brigade warming up. Much as I hate to start my post on a negative that is not the question I am asking.

I am looking at two scopes to stick on a 222.

1) Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 Duplex Reticule.

2) MTC Genesis 5-20x50 Illuminated Reticule.

I can get both round about the same price. I already have a 1700 scope on my .270 so know all about quality glass but the truth is in years gone by I shot more vermin with an 80 Nikko Stirling than I can recall.

Anyone has knowledge of both these models for comparison is appreciated.

Ian
    then get another Nikko Sterling
    whichever one you get will be better than either of those.

The MTC is targetted towards the air rifle/vermin shooter, they appear to be well made but are ugly as sin.

personally for the money I think you can get better scopes.
    I see no reason to buy new products of inferior quality when you can buy second hand ones of significantly higher quality.

What you need is a nice Leupold VX3 6.5-20 with a varmint reticule...sure I saw one in the classifieds!

Think the VX3 will be outside his budget if he's looking at an MTC or Nikon
    I would suggest a secondhand WTC
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

I'd chance the Nikon.
    A few years ago there was a scope test in which a Monarch (2.5-10x56?) scope won.
    Test included all the big names and was coducted in the S&B plant.
    edi

Have you looked at the Vortex scopes, similar cash - lifetime garuntee, Diamondback is a good scope

Hi Guys,
    thanks for the reccomendations. I would like to go keep the high magnification if possible for long range rabbits and crows. Diamondback etc does not go high enough. Niether does the WTC.

Ian

Hi,
    around 300 I have another option which is to sell my mint S&B FD7 3-12x50 scope and buy two cheaper scopes with the cash

Ian
    Last edited by Briarquest; 12-07-2012 at 12:37.