help to identify this round please

Not got a book handy but the measurements look about right. I think the numbers are dates, so a Frankford .30-06 round dating August or March (is it an 8 or a 3?) 1919 possibly?

I'm by no means an expert, but I just had a quick squint in the Lee manual. Lists COAL as 3.340, cal as .308, and rim diameter as .473 for 30-06, so some of those sound a bit far out even allowing for variation in measuring, batch etc.?

Proportions look wrong for 7.62x51, would say that's it is a good chance as has been said it's 30-06 Springfield
Link here to a page that has almost identical markings to yours,as CSL says Frankford Arsenal

its f a 31. thats on the base and they are in a 5round clip my m8 dug up hundreds of them in a field along with some other stuff

Chances are that they are for 1903 Springfield and the stripper clips aid with speed loading,M1 Garand has a totally different clip that holds 8 rounds.
The picture shows the clips if you click on the image

View attachment 17393

Bugger he types faster than me:confused:

as far as i am aware its never been us army ground or even uk. the ordanance was buried about 18 inches down in a field which is near an ex scottish open prison in angus lol

Chances are it was for use in the US Rifle of 1917 that we commonly call the P-14. The Home Guard got a shed load of them during WW2. Of course the P-17 is also a .30-06.

I guess this is near the former HMP Noranside. I was wondering if the prison was on a former miliatry site, but it seems that Noranside was built as a TB hospital in 1913-14.

This does not, of course, have any bearing on the idea the ammunition might be a small Defence of Britain strategic dump.

While old rifle-cartidges might be inoffensive enough (debateable), I wonder whether I would be inclined to contact the police to advise them of the find. There might be higher-risk stuff there too, and if I'd managed to find the dumit would be likely that other curious persons might find it also.

it is noranside area yes but there is only one person that knows the exact site where they were found and he buried them a lot deeper than when he found them and would not reveal the where abouts of them even to me. i believe it could possibly be home gaurd stuff as the land owners father was friends withmy father and told us yeas ago that he was ex army

I'm by no means an expert, but I just had a quick squint in the Lee manual. Lists COAL as 3.340, cal as .308, and rim diameter as .473 for 30-06, so some of those sound a bit far out even allowing for variation in measuring, batch etc.?
I agree with you klunk looks like 30 cailbre to me

Just out of curiosity what type of propellant was in the case was it a ball type powder
Or cordite?
had a go at digging things up and found this its not a training aid.
Got my name in the paper and a visit from the bomb squad.
031.jpg

Last edited:
Back