Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: open licence

open licence

i recently asked for my licence to be made less restrictive in the sense that i dont need land cleared in order to be able to shoot on it. i was told that it wasnt policy to do this until first renewal but i went ahead and asked for it anyway. the firearms department returned my licence and said that an feo would need to see me. i thought this would be a fairly simple yes or no situation but have had a phone call this morning saying theres an feo coming to see me on monday morning to discuss my request. i was just wondering if this is the normal way of doing things?

Hi Ziggy

Let me know how you get on mate as I was thinking of doing the same with mine now that I have passed Level 1. I have got the chance to go to quite a few places on invites but sometimes it is a last minute phone call, so it does not give enough time for getting land checked.

Good luck mate

Wayne
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

I'm pretty sure you can apply for an open licence after 3 years, but yeah an interview with a FLO is usual - You'll need to justify why you want this though as they're not particularly fond of giving these (in my neck of the woods anyway). Urban fox control is a viable reason but it's usually only the pro's they give these to.

will do wayne, its pretty much a similar situation to me. ill send you a pm on monday afternoon etc

Cheers mate.

The way this weathers going I am wondering when I am going to be able to get out foxing.
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    but yeah an interview with a FLO is usual - You'll need to justify why you want this though as they're not particularly fond of giving these (in my neck of the woods anyway).
    Not here it isn't... I got mine after 18months with nothing more than a polite e-mail

If I were you I'd explain that when I go up to Scotland I am technically in breach of the terms of my certificate, which states that "the rifle shall only be used on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police" and that seeing as no land in Scotland has been deemed suitable, that I would be in effect breaking the law.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I sent in my licence after about a year, asking for open conditions. It was done, no problem, no visit or anything. But I've only got a .22LR. It wouldn't have been so simple if I had centrefire.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneinthepub View Post
    Hi Ziggy

Let me know how you get on mate as I was thinking of doing the same with mine now that I have passed Level 1. I have got the chance to go to quite a few places on invites but sometimes it is a last minute phone call, so it does not give enough time for getting land checked.

Good luck mate

Wayne
    When I passed my dsc1 I sent a copy of the certificate off to my fire arms department asking for an additional slot on my licence with a covering letter stating the reasons for requesting an additional caliber rifle, this was backed up with several land letters to validate my request.

Upon return of my FAC my request was granted and less restrictive, ie I can shoot on any land that I have lawful reason to without having to obtain consent from chief officer of police....

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Not here it isn't... I got mine after 18months with nothing more than a polite e-mail

If I were you I'd explain that when I go up to Scotland I am technically in breach of the terms of my certificate, which states that "the rifle shall only be used on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police" and that seeing as no land in Scotland has been deemed suitable, that I would be in effect breaking the law.
    Si you are a genious... that's a seriously good point! Re the open ticket thing though I think as ever it depends on your issuing force - mine tried a "high seat only" condition when I first got my .243!!! Funnily enough I raised scotland as an argument as I said there were no suitable places for a highseat in some scottish shoots...

Well I wouldn't go that far.... lol

More of a logical thinker, when I mentioned it to my Feo he said put that in an e-mail and I'll see what I can do.
    Getting the mentor condition removed was not quite so easy though.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox