Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving House

Moving House

Moving about ten miles, but puts me in a new licencing authority. (Hampshire to Surrey)

whats the reckoning on the best way at the moment? inform them in advance, or go ahead and move, bolt in the new cabinet in an appropiate place and then inform both old and new authorities of the move?

Also, I've got two open slots for rifles that I've not got round to buying yet (about 6 months after being granted the slots) - likely to cause a problem?

cheers for any advice

k

Blog Entries
    I did Surrey to Wiltshire some years ago.

I bolted in my cabinet. Moved my guns and rang the local FLO who sent round an FEO for a chat and to inspect firearms and my security.

Think I did another round of forms but it was close to my renewal. I then had a new Ticket issued by Wiltshire.

Think you will have to give good reason all over for the new rifles. Or it s a good excuse to go flex the plastic.

I did Norfolk to Aberdeenshire last year, midway through my application for FAC and being a SGC holder. Befiore moving, I notified Norfolk and they handled the transfer of my file to Grampian, transfer of the 50 FAC application fee and stated that Grampian would be in touch. I was told to hold onto my SGC. I also notified Grampian once I knew my new address. I brought the guns personally with me and the first piece of furniture in the house was the cabinet and bolted it to the wall. I carried on as normal whilst awaiting contact from Grampian, which came very quickly and a meeting arranged with the FLO. Visit from FLO resulted in approvals for everything, replacement SGC and new FAC issued by Grampian arrived within a couple of weeks.

The whole process was straightforward, exceptionally efficient and courteous from both issuing authorities.

Remember the important thing is your requirement to notify your issuing branch of a change of address, I suggest you do this as a matter of priority and certianly before actually moving - Hampshire will probably also be able to advise on the process for transferring if there are any specifics that they adhere to. I would suggest that simply moving then telling both authorities is the wrong order of events.
    Last edited by Virbius; 11-07-2012 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    I did Norfolk to Aberdeenshire last year, midway through my application for FAC and being a SGC holder. Befiore moving, I notified Norfolk and they handled the transfer of my file to Grampian, transfer of the 50 FAC application fee and stated that Grampian would be in touch. I was told to hold onto my SGC. I also notified Grampian once I knew my new address. I brought the guns personally with me and the first piece of furniture in the house was the cabinet and bolted it to the wall. I carried on as normal whilst awaiting contact from Grampian, which came very quickly and a meeting arranged with the FLO. Visit from FLO resulted in approvals for everything, replacement SGC and new FAC issued by Grampian arrived within a couple of weeks.

The whole process was straightforward, exceptionally efficient and courteous from both issuing authorities.

Remember the important thing is your requirement to notify your issuing branch of a change of address, I suggest you do this as a matter of priority and certianly before actually moving - Hampshire will probably also be able to advise on the process for transferring if th ere are any specifics that they adhere to. I would suggest that simply moving then telling both authorities is the wrong order of events.
    I gree, This is sound advice David, always include your old & new FA dept when moving address, providing as much info as they require, in my view you will not go wrong sticking to this approach

You are only obliged to do as instructed on the front of your fac.

That is ......."The holder of th certificate must, without undue delay, inform the chief officer of police by whom this certificate was granted any change of his permenent address".

Simply, that means as soon as you have moved (and fitted your cabinet) write to your licensing department quoting your fac number and new address . They will pass your file on to your new licensing department who will, in turn, contact you. Nothing else is required.

Doing more than is required by law often opens the flood gates to suggestions of storing your firearms with a RFD, returning your FAC and other unnecessary inconveniences.

I spoke and took advice from a leading shooting organisation and I had explored the possibility of having my firearms transported from RFD to RFD, they said it was not necessary. I only had 2 shotguns at the time and I left the ammunition with my father so it wasn't a huge inconvenience. Had I had firearms held on an FAC, I would probably have had an RFD deal with it as I would not have been happy travelling 600+ miles with firearms and ammunition in the boot of the car.

CharlieT is correct, although I took the view that by informing the Norfolk authority prior to actually leaving, being closer I could deal with any issues in person if necessary rather than being 600+ miles away. I was also in the process of applying for my FAC so was communicating with the FLO anyway. By giving Norfolk plenty of notice, by the time I was in Grampian, my file was already here so the process was that much quicker.

It would be worth speaking to any organisation that you are a member of to get their opinion as your individual case can then be considered. Moving 10 miles across a border is different than my situation as you are local to each authority.

Why not Outdoor? That is all the law requires of you.

Virbius, I often travel 600 plus miles with firearms, shotguns and ammunition for both in the car, when I travel up to Scotland on holiday. There's no issue with it, as long as they are out of sight and the car is locked when you are not with it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Why not Outdoor? That is all the law requires of you.

Virbius, I often travel 600 plus miles with firearms, shotguns and ammunition for both in the car, when I travel up to Scotland on holiday. There's no issue with it, as long as they are out of sight and the car is locked when you are not with it.
    Totally agree mh, and I have travelled with firearms on many occasions including on flights and international driving through half a dozen states in the USA. On this particular occasion I also had a 2 and a 4 year old and a wife along with the shotguns plus an overnight stay at a hotel. I was happy with 2 shotguns as I had broken them down and they were secured safely in normal luggage so it was not obvious what they were. Had it been shotguns + rifles + ammunition I would most likely have gone down the RFD route.

Also agree with you and CharlieT regarding the law. However there is a difference between simply what the law requires you to do, and involving the respective regional firearms departments in the process. There is enough evidence on this forum to indicate that different regions interpret the law differently, and in my opinion 'it's good to talk' and involving them in the process can be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Totally agree mh, and I have travelled with firearms on many occasions including on flights and international driving through half a dozen states in the USA. On this particular occasion I also had a 2 and a 4 year old and a wife along with the shotguns plus an overnight stay at a hotel. I was happy with 2 shotguns as I had broken them down and they were secured safely in normal luggage so it was not obvious what they were. Had it been shotguns + rifles + ammunition I would most likely have gone down the RFD route.

Also agree with you and CharlieT regarding the law. However there is a difference between simply what the law requires you to do, and involving the respective regional firearms departments in the process. There is enough evidence on this forum to indicate that different regions interpret the law differently, and in my opinion 'it's good to talk' and involving them in the process can be a good thing.
    To put it simply, there is no room for interpretation on this point. For goodness sake, it's written on the front of your FAC exactly what you need to do. Why on earth would anyone feel they need to do more than to comply with the instructions given to them by the person who issued their FAC.

Why, oh why, do we make things harder and more complicated than they already are.

BASC have a paper on how to do it (inform the Police that is) - I downloaded it today for a pal who moved into his new house yesterday.