E. Petition- Tax on Air Ambulance Fuel

downwind

Not stalking, but relevant to all of us who support Air Ambulance trusts:-

Hi everyone,

We have all worked hard in the past, and no doubt we will in the future, to raise funds to keep our air ambulances in service. However, the government see fit to charge thousands of pounds of VAT on the fuel they use. So Ken Sharpe, a motorcyclist in York, has created an e-petition to ask that VAT should not be applied to that fuel. The petition is here

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29349

Please sign up and/or pass the link on to motorcycle clubs in your area as the air ambulances are a great service and have saved the lives of many motorcyclists.

I had a nasty accident with a m/cycle a couple of years ago. Stupid bugger was overtaking on a bend. Head on collision. He went flying wrote of my Nissan Navara and his BMW m/c and then he went flying again in an air ambulance. They are now the only charity I give to. They need your support and you never know when you'll need them.

Im in. My mrs had a nasty accident out in the middle of nowhere on her horse a week before christmas if it wasn't for the air ambulance getting to her sharpish i don't know what could have happened. Very worth while

Thanks for supporting this petition folks. The daft thing is, if you donate as a tax payer the government allows gift aid, they then proceed to snatch it back in fuel tax and VAT!!
Thanks again, Pete.

Presenting a £1000 donation to the Welsh Air Ambulance tomorrow after I proposed this outstanding "Charity" to my employer Severn Trent Water.The company puts £1000 up for nominated charities for every month of no accidents where no work time is lost. Great result allround. Gaz

Someone out there is listening as this came up yesterday in the House of Commons - in a 'Private Members Motion' - which sounds a bit rude. :D

I know this only because the telly was on in my toyroom while I was reloading. Really must get out more.

The MP's droned on for almost 3 hours. There may be be some news on this in the Spring of 2013.

Ministers closing remarks and 'final motion' below with the HOC link:-

Code:
[B]Mr Hoban:[/B] I appreciate the right hon. Gentleman’s knowledge—he is a former shadow Secretary of State for Health—but my point is that the Treasury is working with Department of Health officials to ensure that the  
 [B]11 July 2012 : Column 412[/B]
matter is covered by the review. I can confirm that, if it is ultimately not covered, the Treasury will carry out its own review. However, rather than having three reviews into air ambulances, I believe that two are sufficient if the second covers the tax issue. We are working with the Department of Health to ensure that that is the case. I can confirm to hon. Members that there will be a review and that the Government will not vote against the motion. Indeed, we believe it raises valid issues.
   It would be possible in principle to introduce a refund system for air ambulance charities’ non-business activities, although it is important to consider that in the context of broader public spending, as I am sure my hon. Friends appreciate.
   To refer to a point made by my hon. Friend the Member for Rugby, it is important for us to consider carefully how air ambulance charities can provide a better service by improving efficiency, and not just through refunds and tax breaks. Effective co-ordination of services could bring cost reductions that far outweigh the scale of a VAT refund on fuel. I am sure the House will join me in applauding such innovation and agree that we should continue to do all we can to improve this excellent service further. As my hon. Friend said, the air ambulance based in his constituency delivers a co-ordinated approach to providing the service across Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Rutland. It has made significant cost savings and earned the transformational change award at the Orange national business awards last year.
   I hope I have set out clearly my reasoning on why a change to the VAT law is impractical. I believe the best review on a level playing field for providers is being done by the Department of Health, but, as I have made clear, if that does not fully cover air ambulances, the Treasury will conduct its own, 
separate review.
   [I]Resolved[/I][I],[/I]
  That this House supports wholeheartedly the work and actions of the Air Ambulance Service nationally, and all the individual crew members and staff, who provide an outstanding service to people up and down the UK; notes that the Air Ambulance Service is a charitable organisation, funded by donations given by the general public, and without any direct funding from Government; further notes that the Air Ambulance Service has saved successive governments millions of pounds; notes that the Air Ambulance Service provides an emergency service similar to the Lifeboat Service, and that the Lifeboat Service has been excluded from the EU VAT Directive on fuel costs since 1977, whereas the Air Ambulance Service has been required to pay for VAT on fuel; notes that successive governments have failed to provide a rebate or exemption to the Air Ambulance Service for this VAT; calls on the Government to conduct an urgent review of this situation; and further calls on the Government, in the next 12 months, to consider providing for grants to the Air Ambulance Service commensurate to the sums incurred by the Air Ambulance Service for the VAT on the fuel they purchase, and to publish the outcome of that review within this timescale.

[URL]http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm120711/debtext/120711-0003.htm#12071139000002[/URL]

Back