Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: roe rut

roe rut

hi just wondering if any one seeing any sign of the start of the rut im up in moryshire /banffshire not seeing any real
    sign and weather been crap

i dont bother looking intil the 3rd week in july and then ill start calling around the 1st august , these 2 bucks that fell to the call in on the weekend of the 1st !.

Dont even carry a call till mid july.
    earliest i ever called a rutting animal was last year. 17th july, they usually respond from the 25th onward weather permitting.
    I think with this weather it won't be anytime soon here anyway.

I would agree with john earliest i have seen proper rutting is 15th july will take the call after i see a full rut.

Ive seen early rutting behavior in the last two weeks in moray-shire, inverness-shire, argyll and fife, maybe not in full flow but it is beginning. Why should Roe not be the same as Reds which seem to have starting rutting earlier over the last few years due to the change in climate in certain areas??

ATB wallace

We have full rutting on one estate and have already called rutting bucks in on that estate.

The rutting on our other estates is not really showing its head yet.

The ground where we have called bucks to date is some 25 miles from other ground and is lowland agricultural which may be the reason = softer weather, good fodder and the doe's generally kid earlier which often makes a difference in the timing of the females coming in to oestrus.

We now have very wet cool weather and that for us in the past has always made the rut seem erratic.
    One thing for certain it will happen, there are always plenty of kids born the following year whether we see rut action or not

Best regards to all.

Jon.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stalking directory.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	754.3 KB 
ID:	17439 hi everyone I know this is slightly off the topic. I shot this buck in the 2nd week in April I was out calling for muntjac on a small farm I have. I stopped facing a small copse of woodland and began calling withing 4 minutes I noticed something poking its head out of another woodland 500 yards on I starting calling again and this buck came in like a steam train in to about 80 yards I barked for him to stop and squeezed. I've never seen this buck in the four years I've had the farm. Any thoughts?

Not sure if you'll believe this but the rut has definitely started here, I was out calling this morning, and bugger me, two possible gold medal bucks ran straight at me, and then passed me on the way to my landie, swiped the missus umbrella from the passenger footwell, and then stood behind the landie having a fag laughing in amazement as the rain dripped off the rim of my hat causing a mini rainbow between us......

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    Not sure if you'll believe this but the rut has definitely started here, I was out calling this morning, and bugger me, two possible gold medal bucks ran straight at me, and then passed me on the way to my landie, swiped the missus umbrella from the passenger footwell, and then stood behind the landie having a fag laughing in amazement as the rain dripped off the rim of my hat causing a mini rainbow between us......
    Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by wallace grant View Post
    Ive seen early rutting behavior in the last two weeks in moray-shire, inverness-shire, argyll and fife, maybe not in full flow but it is beginning. Why should Roe not be the same as Reds which seem to have starting rutting earlier over the last few years due to the change in climate in certain areas??

ATB wallace
    Had a buck chasing a doe 2 weeks ago in Sussex, was a muggy morning, very early but put it down to the weather being ideal and the buck was young
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.