Thread: Federal Ammo

Federal Ammo

Can anybody tell me why Federal v shok 55g bullets cost so much more than federal power shok 100g.
    I use 100g in my .243 i use for deer and 55g in my .243 i use for fox.

Many thanks Andy

The 55 grain bullets are Nosler Ballistic tips and the 100 grain Power Shok (don't you wish they would learn to spell?) uses a un-named soft point. Power Shok is the base line basic ammumition while Vital Shok is a premium line.

You pay more for the premium and I suspect they load more 100 grain rounds than the 55 grain rounds.

Now I have heard that the Federal Ammunition for Europe is loaded in Europe and not in the US. makes it cheaper to supply the market as shipping flat pack cartons for the ammunition is easy but shipping ammunition involves all sorts of hassles. Sort of makes sense.

Brithunter, Thanks for reply

Your welcome. members of the SD do try to help one another mostly.

Brithunter, I am using the 55's as i have been told these fly flatter and in doing so make it easier to hit the kill zone at varying ranges, where as the 100's will start dropping quicker as the range increases.
    Is this right?
    I am relatively new to rifle shooting so sorry if my terminology is incorrect but hopefully you understand what i mean.

Any comments or advise welcome

Andy

Personally I would use 70 grain bullets if not the 80 grain loading not quite as fast but retain velocity and energy better that the 55 grain bullets.

Best talk to those on here who are heavily into foxing with the .243. I only shot foxes when required too and did not have a .243 at the time so used my 6.5x55 with either 100 grain or 120 grain bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    The 55 grain bullets are Nosler Ballistic tips and the 100 grain Power Shok (don't you wish they would learn to spell?) uses a un-named soft point. Power Shok is the base line basic ammumition while Vital Shok is a premium line.

You pay more for the premium and I suspect they load more 100 grain rounds than the 55 grain rounds.

Now I have heard that the Federal Ammunition for Europe is loaded in Europe and not in the US. makes it cheaper to supply the market as shipping flat pack cartons for the ammunition is easy but shipping ammunition involves all sorts of hassles. Sort of makes sense.
    Not sure about that. Ammo is usually shipped in large containers with no more hassle than anything else that goes boom (22LR, HMR, 22 Magnum. Primers, Powder) but you never know these days. Look at a box of Federal ammo and see where it's made, that's all.~Muir

You should find the 55 grain will fly flatter with less drop out to 300 yards as it will travelling faster. Plenty enough energy to knock down foxy. And if you see munty a 55 grain will do him too. V shoks will be more accurate than a soft lead tip.

Quote Originally Posted by fryer View Post
    You should find the 55 grain will fly flatter with less drop out to 300 yards as it will travelling faster. Plenty enough energy to knock down foxy. And if you see munty a 55 grain will do him too. V shoks will be more accurate than a soft lead tip.
    Light weight yes faster out the barrel but also loses speed faster.

Personally I would not be using a 55 grain V-Max on Muntjac.

Now please explain why a lead tipped bullet will be less precise on target than a plastic tipped bullet?