Thread: Potential legislative threat to shooting in Scotland

Potential legislative threat to shooting in Scotland

This thread has been stimulated by EssBee's commendable thread on Lead Ammunition. Apologies to the Administrators, this should probably be in the Legal forum but I believe it warrants higher exposure in the General Section:

The links below concern Scotland Government's often stated desire to acquire full control over firearm licensing and to drastically restrict legal firearm ownership.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile...kdown.17714091

http://www.cjscotland.co.uk/2012/05/...and-published/

From the cjs report, there is an increased level of political activity on this issue. The threat to the sport is very real. In addition to the restricting of ownership to no more than three firearms/shotguns, options such as a complete ban of high-power rifles and restricted storage conditions are under consideration.

The current statistics on Scotland's firearm crime and certificate ownership are at:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../10/21134009/2

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0039/00393877.pdf

Note the statistics do not remotely support increased legislative sanctions over legal ownership. There are range of responses that can be undertaken to support the sport.

1) Visit and/or write to your local MSPs and MP. Ideally do both;
    2) Write politely to Mr McAskill and to the Home Secretary. Statistical arguments are extremely valuable but equally valuable is a simple letter pointing out the importance of the sport to you personally. Many politicians have no knowledge of or any regular contact with the target or game shooters and informing them of the safety and variety of the sport can be extremely helpful;
    3) Contact the shooting organisation that your are a member of and ensure that they are aware of your personal concerns on this issue (if you are not a member of one or other of NRA, CA, SCA, SACS, NGO, BASC [includes BASC-Scotland], SPA, MLAGB etc. then consider joining;
    4) Make other shooters aware of the threat.

all this will do is increase the paperwork for the FLO as people have their wives apply for firearms and shift ownership!

Who is Kenny MacAskgill? and is there anything sensible that those of us south of the border can do to assist. atb Tim

Kenny MacAskill MSP - Cabinet Secretary for Justice in Scotland.
    http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman...kill-1-2326146

I'm not normally one to write to MPs etc, but there is some concern within Scotland that this is a serious issue. In last week's Shooting Times, David Taylor of the CA was also encouraging people to write to Chris Williamson to air their views and love of shooting as his stance is a total ban of private ownership of firearms across the UK.

I've just posted on the Lead Ammunition thread on SD that it doesn't take much time at all to draft an email and send to MPs, home secretary and shooting organisations your concerns and what shooting means to you.

http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/ gets the email address of your MP. Will it make a diffierence? I don't know but if enough people respond it's a strong voice and at least you would feel some comfort that at least you tried even if it didn't work. There will of course be those who will berate any positive action as pointless and worthless, and that the political machine will steamroller any efforts to protect what we enjoy, and they are welcome to their views.

Is there a reason that the SNP are so determined to push through further legislation? It doesn't generally seem to be an issue that the majority of people are concerned about, so I don't really understand the political motivation. Is Kenny MacAskill personally anti gun?

[CODE]Firearm certificate statistics, Scotland, 2011
    29/05/2012
    Scotland’s Chief Statistician today published Firearm Certificate Statistics, Scotland, 2011. The bulletin presents statistics on the number of firearm and shotgun certificates on issue in Scotland at the end of 2011, along with the number of weapons held on certificate.
    The main findings are:
    • There were 25,831 firearm certificates on issue at the end of 2011, the lowest number on issue over the ten year period covered by the bulletin.
    • The number of firearms held on certificate in 2011 was 71,860, the highest number of firearms held on certificate over the same ten year period.
    • The average number of firearms held on each certificate issued has increased from 2.3 in 2002 to 2.8 in 2011.
    • There were 48,726 shotgun certificates on issue at the end of 2011, the lowest number on issue over the ten year period covered by the bulletin.
    • The number of shotguns held on certificate in 2011 was 138,939, the highest number of shotguns held on certificate over the same ten year period.
    • The average number of shotguns held on each certificate issued has increased from 2.4 in 2002 to 2.9 in 2011.
    • There were 347 registered firearm dealers in Scotland at the end of 2011. This is the highest number of registered dealers in the ten year period covered by the bulletin and an increase of three per cent from the 337 registered dealers at the end of 2010.
    5.1 Within the definition of the Firearms Act1968 (as amended), a “firearm”means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged. It includes any prohibited weapon, any component part of such a weapon and any accessory to such a weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by the firing of the weapon.

These are the official 2011 FAC figures – from link 4 in Post #1 above.

Table 3. Firearm Certificates: number of firearms possessed on certificate and number of additional firearms authorised to be purchased or acquired on certificate, Scotland, 31 December 2011
    2,039 Section 1 Shotguns
    50,439 Rifles (Rimfire and Centrefire)
    679 Handguns (incl. humane killers, SSPCA pistols, G1 starters, etc.)
    201 Carbines (Lever Action mainly)
    212 Muzzle Loading Rifles
    636 Muzzle Loading Pistols
    414 FAC Air Rifles
    181 Air/Gas/Co2 Pistols (Brococks, etc.)
    6,702 Miscellaneous (includes Dart guns, Moderators, S5 firearms)

The final total for Miscellaneous (non-firearms) is surprising. These are:-

7.6% of Firearms Already Possessed
    14.1% of Firearms Authorised Not Yet Acquired
    8.3% of the total entries made on FAC’s.

The rise in Number of Firearms on FAC’s is due to the increase in this category. The number of FAC’s is actually falling. What’s going on here?
    [/CODE]
    Last edited by Sinistral; 12-07-2012 at 15:15.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Does Basc, Sacs etc............ know about this???
    Might be time for David Basc to let us know whats happening!
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Is there a reason that the SNP are so determined to push through further legislation? It doesn't generally seem to be an issue that the majority of people are concerned about, so I don't really understand the political motivation. Is Kenny MacAskill personally anti gun?
    because they think it is news worthy and takes attention away from the fact that they are a useless bunch of cnuts bleeding the public sector dry on expenses!!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    because they think it is news worthy and takes attention away from the fact that they are a useless bunch of cnuts bleeding the public sector dry on expenses!!
    I have to say having recently moved to Scotland, the SNP remind me a lot of the politicians I enountered growing up in Africa. Venal, idle, small minded, incompetant and lightning fast to blame thier own shortcomings on former colonial powers. Salmond fit right in as the (somewhat) benign dictator of a ramshackle banana republic!