Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot On - Tick and Flea preventative.

Spot On - Tick and Flea preventative.

Hi Guys, Yesterday I 'dosed' my dog with Spot On, the usual dribble down the middle of the shoulder blades.
    Today it looks a mess, big greasy/oily patch where I put the dose but apart from that and this is what concerns me, the dog has gone all mopey.
    No signs of excitement at going out, hardly moves from it's bed and that is not like her.
    She is a Springer cross Labrador so you can imagine what she is normally like and her behaviour now worrys me.
    I have used Spot on before and not had this behaviour so has anybody had similar symptons after using it or am I just being a 'Southern Cissy' worrying unduly ?

What EXACTLY was the product. Can you see the name of an active ingredient? What is the expiry date? What size range is the product for and how heavy is your dog?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I'm afraid I have no specific info that you ask, package disposed of.
    It was a pippet marketed as 'Spot On' bought from my Vet on the dog's annual check up specifically for the protection from ticks and Fleas and was very similar to 'Frontline' which I have obtained previously from the Vet.
    The dosage was tailored to my dog's size and weight and was supposed to give protection for up to three months.

I once used the wrong doseage of frontline on a dog , and it had similar results.
    Took a couple of days for her to get over it,
    She wasnt sick just out of sorts for 48hrs.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Today I treated a dog showing signs of permethrin poisoning after the use of an over the counter flea treatment.

As a precaution I would wash the product off using copious amounts of warm soapy water (washing up liquid is ideal). If the dog is no better by morning then I'd go back to the vets. I am a lot less worried if you got the product from your vet.

Did your dog get his booster vaccination? Some dogs can be a bit quiet the day after a booster. They can run a mild fever, like kids after their inoculations.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Her Booster was last week and she had no ill effects from that.
    My wife spoke to the Vet today and was told to keep an eye on her and if there is no improvement after a couple of days or she shows signs of getting worse to bring her straight in.
    My wife has only just told me this as she thought the vet didn't seem unduly worried.
    I am now beginning to wonder if, being a bitch and a bit of a madam, she knows she looks scruffy with the oily patch on her shoulder, that she is not feeling herself because she looks scruffy - you know ;-) the way women feel before they put their make up on

Just checked in my box of frontline and the symptoms your describing may be some of the side effects listed on the sheet with the box. It says the dogs, amongst other things with big words, can be depressed for a couple of days after application. Unfortunately it didn't calm down our terrier any when I last applied it !!

Hope this helps.

Mick

Never had any problems with my dogs as I do two at the same time I keep them separate for a few days to stop them licking each other. Also this time of year I switch to Advantics spot on. It's designed to be more effective on tics, I'll switch back to the spot on flea control as colder weather gets here. Some of the ground I stalk on is prolific for tics & the regular stuff just wasn't keeping them off.
    Hope your dogs back to its normal self again soon
    Wingy

I use "Spot on/Frontline " on my dogs and i"ve never had a problem.The greasy oily patch is just normal.
    Atb John.

Have been using spot on or front line quite regulary on my mut , cant say its very effective, still pulling ticks out every few days.