onion syrup....not a receipe looking for info

sauer

hi peeps

sorry not offering any receipes here ...rather im looking for info on one

i was at a wedding the other week and the catering folk were passing out these cocktail sausages inbetween service and main meal whilst drinks were on the go.

they were AMAZING!!!!!!i could have quite easily skipped he meal and taken off with the cocktail sausages......i managed to ask the chef ..albeit briefly what hell he had done with em.....apparently he used an onion syrup ..thats all info i got..they were quite "oily " on the surface..others would say greasy

now i have "googled" it and all i get is cough syrup remedies

soooooo.....:-|

any chefs or would be chefs on here know an idiots idea way of replicating it?

honsetly these stuff was "nectar"

paul

my ex makes a to die for onion marmalade that is just made for venison steaks. Sounds like you had a variation of the same. try some of the more 'home made' ones, sainsburys had one that had too much redcurrant in it. i recall picking up a nice one in Teebane Services [ Cumbria?] on a stalking trip. it must be runny.

Blimey, I can recall my mother making onion syrup - brown sugar sprinkled on onions in bowl overnight. Never though to use it as a baste, but with some garlic it could be great.

You could just try reducing onions very very slowly in butter, allowing it to caramalise and adding sugar and a drop of balsamic

You could just try reducing onions very very slowly in butter, allowing it to caramalise and adding sugar and a drop of balsamic

I dont think you are far off with that. I would sweat the onions of using butter and fresh ground black pepper (it helps to bring the natrual sweetness out), a generous pinch of brown suger to help the caramalisation, put some fresh thyme in now. Now try a glass of white wine and reduce with a dash of balsamic until the liquid turns syrup like. once you get to that stage remove from the heat and pass it through a sieve using the pack of a spoon to squeeze evrey last drop of goodness and flavour from the onions. Try it and let me know how you get on.

Nutty

"now try a glass of white wine"

now that in the onions or just a wee snifter fir the chef?!!:cool:

seriuosly tho...will try that i think but the stuff on the cocktail sausages was in all appearences just ...like "veggy oil" clear runny oily funnily enough...oh and bloody tasty

paul

"now try a glass of white wine"

now that in the onions or just a wee snifter fir the chef?!!:cool:

seriuosly tho...will try that i think but the stuff on the cocktail sausages was in all appearences just ...like "veggy oil" clear runny oily funnily enough...oh and bloody tasty

paul

Cover both bases and do both!!!:D I think once the sausages are cooked and the "syrup" added at the end the fat from the sausages will mix with the "syrup" and be excatly how you describe. I would cook the sausages in the oven once cooked remove the tray and the mixture and gently toss all together, the heat from the tray, fat and sausages will heat the mixture up.

Nutty

Cover both bases and do both!!!:D I think once the sausages are cooked and the "syrup" added at the end the fat from the sausages will mix with the "syrup" and be excatly how you describe. I would cook the sausages in the oven once cooked remove the tray and the mixture and gently toss all together, the heat from the tray, fat and sausages will heat the mixture up.

Nutty

mmmm im wondering seeing as im bloody busy as always with non descript crap at the mo......
if ii was to finely chop a pile of onions ans just put em in slow cooker on low with a drizzle of oil over them wether or not that would wilt down....& throw in some brown sugar and just stir every half hour or so....

what ya think nutty?

paul

mmmm im wondering seeing as im bloody busy as always with non descript crap at the mo......
if ii was to finely chop a pile of onions ans just put em in slow cooker on low with a drizzle of oil over them wether or not that would wilt down....& throw in some brown sugar and just stir every half hour or so....

what ya think nutty?

paul

It wouldnt reduce down to the sticky syrup you want. Slow cookers are designed to keep food moist. It should only take 1/2 max in a pan.

nutty

Back