Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clean or not

clean or not

have a 7mm rem mag now every time i fire the gun when i get home i clean it was getting 1inch to half inch on the target now just put 40rounds down the spout and one hole groups with ease what do i do shoot it till it goes off or clean it the more i shoot it the better it gets

shoot 10 then clean for fifty then only clean when you have finished shooting for that day
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Sounds like you answered your own question

Why mend what isn't broken?

thanks lads il just shoot it just got in to the habbit of clean is better

As I have said before every barrel is a law unto itself.

Your next one might open up grouping after 10 rounds .

Of course the other things is after firing 30 or so rounds your were more practiced to the last few shot better.

I am of the opinion that cleaning is overated! Modern powders have reduced the need and the only real issue these days is copper fouling.
    It amazes me to see people zero their rifle on the range to some stupidly high degree of accuracy for stalking. They then go home and vigorously clean the bore with all manner of brushes and chemicals. The next shot fired is then at a live deer through an effectively unzeroed rifle!!!!
    How many of you realistically fire a fouling round or two between cleaning and your next shot at a deer?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I only give mine a dry pull through after firing. I check zero often and de-copper if I change something or suspect innaccuracy.
    MS

Doesn't seem to be a one-rule-for-all answer with this - my HMR doesn't shoot straight unless I clean it, my .243 won't shoot straight unless it's dirty, and my .22 shoots straight either way!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I am of the opinion that cleaning is overated! Modern powders have reduced the need and the only real issue these days is copper fouling.
    It amazes me to see people zero their rifle on the range to some stupidly high degree of accuracy for stalking. They then go home and vigorously clean the bore with all manner of brushes and chemicals. The next shot fired is then at a live deer through an effectively unzeroed rifle!!!!
    How many of you realistically fire a fouling round or two between cleaning and your next shot at a deer?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I only give mine a dry pull through after firing. I check zero often and de-copper if I change something or suspect innaccuracy.
    MS
    I think that you will have to accept that there are people out there that get a little amused at this myth that you require one or two fouling shots in order to bring the rifle back to POA.

I have 3 centre fire rifle, after cleaning, 2 will put the 2nd bullet where the first went, the other (my 22.250) always shoots the 1st shot at 4 o'clock a 1/4" from POA. So after cleaning it I give the scope 1 up and 1 left to compensate. My small circle of shooting friends also do not have this fouling shot problem - perhaps its due to the air in this county or we clean our rifles the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    I think that you will have to accept that there are people out there that get a little amused at this myth that you require one or two fouling shots in order to bring the rifle back to POA.

I have 3 centre fire rifle, after cleaning, 2 will put the 2nd bullet where the first went, the other (my 22.250) always shoots the 1st shot at 4 o'clock a 1/4" from POA. So after cleaning it I give the scope 1 up and 1 left to compensate. My small circle of shooting friends also do not have this fouling shot problem - perhaps its due to the air in this county or we clean our rifles the same way.
    A myth!
    You really move the scope to compensate for a 1/4" of deflection? This all seems to indicate that your rifles extremely accurate. That's Cool. Show us the targets some time. ~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 13-07-2012 at 23:12.