Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle help

New rifle help

Hello looking for a bit of help. Due to the future arrival of my first child I am looking at reducing the cabinets and therefore rifles/shotguns that I have. My thoughts are that I shall sell the 3 full bore rifles that I have and replace with a switch barrel system (ie blazer or a mauser my preferred choices) so does anybody in the central area of Scotland have these rifles that would be willing to let me have a look or even a shot (on my ground if that helps) to help me make my mind up.

Based on the prices of Blazer rifles and their accessories, those would need to be three hella-nice rifles to make any economical gains!~Muir

Regular Poster
    Can't offer a look but I've just done the same thing and gone with a Sauer 202 in .22-250. 6.5 x 55 and .30/06. Great thing is the scope stays on the action and as long as you know where the zero is for each barrel you'll never lose zero (I'm using a Z6i BT that I have set-up the BT for the 3 different zeroes).

Gazza, how do you find the barrel change over on tha sauer, it's knocked out with the bolt isnt it?

Are you expecting a child or a hefalump?

Sorry but I fail to see why the arrival of a baby would need to get rid on a gun cabinet. After all they are not really that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Are you expecting a child or a hefalump?

Sorry but I fail to see why the arrival of a baby would need to get rid on a gun cabinet. After all they are not really that big.
    So what do I do when I come back from a lamping session and the baby is sleeping, bang about getting the gun back in or just leave it in cupboard till the morning. Don't think so.

I have three rifles a browning, tikka and a Mauser plus will sell my aya no2 so should be able to get close to a new Mauser plus mounts and can keep the optics and maybe the mods(thread dependant)

Quote Originally Posted by tig_mig View Post
    So what do I do when I come back from a lamping session and the baby is sleeping, bang about getting the gun back in or just leave it in cupboard till the morning. Don't think so.

I have three rifles a browning, tikka and a Mauser plus will sell my aya no2 so should be able to get close to a new Mauser plus mounts and can keep the optics and maybe the mods(thread dependant)
    Well as the normal thing to do is allow the gun to reach room temperature before putting it away that should not be a problem however it seems plod has other ideas on it.

Also seeing as how you never mentioned the small fact that the cabinets was in the childs room and I have not seen your house....................................... it seemed a sensible question.................................. Ho-hum.

However it's clear you have made up your mind already so I wonder why are you asking the question?

That being the case there is little more to say except have fun.

Not made up my mind yet but have narrowed it down to two maybe three now the sauer has been mentioned, but as no dealers in the local area have them and the game fair was canceled I have not actually held one so before spending money or selling mine I would like to see if I like it hence the reason for my original post

I had a Sauer 202, She was a lovely gun, beautiful wood smooth action. Sadly she was getting knocked around a bit to much so I off loaded her and got a blaser.

For me the Sauer 202 is not a true switch barrel system, it is to much effort. The Blaser, Mauser and the 202 Takedown on the other are. I think you would be happy with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tig_mig View Post
    Not made up my mind yet but have narrowed it down to two maybe three now the sauer has been mentioned, but as no dealers in the local area have them and the game fair was canceled I have not actually held one so before spending money or selling mine I would like to see if I like it hence the reason for my original post
    I'm going to the Midland Game Fair now...

Agree with Brit here - surely just get a bigger cabinet and store it somewhere away from the baby? As for locking it away when you get in, if I'm very late getting in then bolt under pillow, ammo in bedside drawer, and rifle other side of bed?... technically with the rifle so it does not need to be locked away does it?!! They should be returned to room temperature and ideally cleaned of any moisture or dirt before storing... so doesn't seem unreasonable to me, plod might have other ideas though!