Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tight bolt on closing

tight bolt on closing

Have had great success with loading the 243 worked the load up and ver pleased with results. However the bolt has seemed tight possibly too tight. Cases have been FL sized and trimmed bullet head set back by a couple of thou. What's gone wrong? Groups are great. Any ideas

Regards

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

SD Regular
    Does the seating die cover the whole round?

I've recently had a situation where the die has created a small bulge right at the bottom of the round to the extent that I couldn't chamber the round at all - now changed dies that seat completely on full length and fine. Just check you don't have a slight widening of the round at the base as this is one cause of a tight bolt.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

hi bud is the bolt tight before or after firing if before firing i think round is getting pushed up the lands to far forward if after firing over expanson of case to much powder /note remove all lube from your cases as lube left on results in lots of back presure case being hAMERED BACK ON THE BOLT FACE RESULTING IN TIGHT BOLT LIFT WET ROUNDS FROM THE RAIN CAN DO THE SAME THING AS THE ROUND CANT GRIP THE WALLS OF THE CHAMBER AND TRIYES TO GO BACK RATHER THAN SIDE WAYS im no expert but hope it helps

Ive recently had exactly the same problem! Do as muir said and back the die off a touch. Also, make sure the sizing pin is clean and you're not dragging the case out on the upstroke lengthening the case slightly. Double check your breach is clean too, a slight build up of detritus will give similar problems.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Die not screwed down tight and not bumping the shoulders back far enough?

What press and dies are you using ? I use RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS full length dies. I had this problem several years ago and the reason was that I had set the die so that the press didn't cam-over, consequently the shoulder was not sufficiently pushed back. The cases I was using had been fired in another rifle. If you are using cases fire formed in the same rifle then this is unlikely to be the cause of the problem and you will need to look at other possibilities as outlined by other members.

Thanks so far. I am using a RCBS full length die and the cases have been trimmed to length and chamfered inside and out. I am using a lee press.

So that I understand, why would backing the die out help? I am asking this as I want to know the tecnical reason for it. I imagin that this means the case would not go into the die as far , what advantage would this make, my idea would be that the shoulder and neck would not be sized in the same way or in the case of the shoulder ,not be pushed back as far. How does this help.?

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

First size a case and ten try it in the chamber. if it's still tight then you sizing set up is not quite right.

If is goes in fine that you causing the problem elsewhere. I have seen many a .243 case with slightly bulged shoulder/wall juncture. Often is the seating die screwed down too far and is crushing the case neck into the body causing the bulging.

If that is not the case here then seat the bullet deeper. To test take a newly size unprimed case and wind the seating stem of the die in one FULL turn then seat a bullet into the unprimed case then try in the rifle.

Doing this will highlight where you problem is and why it's happening.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Press make and die make will make little difference it's the set up of them that is the problem most likely.

I don't reload, no knowledge of the subject other than reading SD. But people go on about fire forming. Are you using second hand cases fire formed in someone else's chamber. Just a thought?