Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Just browsing opportunities and though.

  1. #1

    Just browsing opportunities and though.

    Just browsing the adverts in opportunities and thought how sick the adverts could appear in availability. If you don't take the stalk into consideration it reads" I have a deer to kill. If you pay x I will let you be the executioner. It reads as if you walk up to a fence, pop your rifle over and bang. I love my stalking but it has to be more than bloodlust. What is the driving factor, the kill or the hunt? I can sit in a highseat or walk a ride without sight of the quarry but still have a good session. Success is a bonus but not a necessity. jim

  2. #2
    Good point jim.
    I look at it as the full process from arriving at the ground to filling the freezer - hopefully in the company of an AW.

    Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Just browsing the adverts in opportunities and thought how sick the adverts could appear in availability. If you don't take the stalk into consideration it reads" I have a deer to kill. If you pay x I will let you be the executioner. It reads as if you walk up to a fence, pop your rifle over and bang. I love my stalking but it has to be more than bloodlust. What is the driving factor, the kill or the hunt? I can sit in a highseat or walk a ride without sight of the quarry but still have a good session. Success is a bonus but not a necessity. jim

    Here here jim.

    But when your driving 4 or 500 miles to stalk it is a different case ,I've watched these stalkers that must go home ,with something no matter what .

    I think there wife must be standing saying ha nothing again ,and you've spent all that money buying all that kit .

    Again Jim when you sit on the various web sites day in and out with all the good kit to polish you don't need to go stalking .
    Last edited by widows son; 13-07-2012 at 09:13.

  4. #4
    I bought my pro hunter new and the mod. Rest is all second hand. Scopes are old fashioned fixed, bins are lower middle class and I build my own highseats. meat in the freezer, I have yet to shoot four spicies of deer. I have galloched ten times the number I have shot. I have dragged deer more miles than some people are prepared to walk. I'm old, I'm fat, I'm retired. I shoot, stalk and play bowls, I stick my head above the parra pit and build the occasional shed. I worked long hours, I want to enjoy what I earned before I am too old. Life is a journey to be enjoyed. I don't need to kill something to enjoy it. But I am a hunter and don't have any qualms when I do. When the kill is more important than the hunt it is time to give up. I have let an immature pheasant fly over my gun only for it to be turned into a pillowcase by the next down the line. Bloodlust.

  5. #5
    Ortega Y Gasset - ' we dont hunt to kill, but kill to have hunted' ( paraphrased )

    Always sound very intellectual, but if anyone actually manages to wade through any of OYG's writings in whole, they have my respect - if not tinge with suspicion about their state of mind and lack of invites to interesting parties!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017




  6. #6
    I can leave my ground without a kill (as l quite often do) and still feel good about things, there is always plenty going on its not just about pulling that trigger.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Here here jim.

    But when your driving 4 or 500 miles to stalk it is a different case ,I've watched these stalkers that must go home ,with something no matter what .

    I think there wife must be standing saying ha nothing again ,and you've spent all that money buying all that kit .

    Again Jim when you sit on the various web sites day in and out with all the good kit to polish you don't need to go stalking .
    you have a good point there'Widows son'
    i drove 300 miles to my syndicate ground and 300 miles back to stalk weekends. 5 stalks each weekend and i done that 6 times before i managed to bring something home.
    thats 5 x 6 = 30 stalks average 4 hrs = 120 hours.
    yes i used to come down the M6 thinking how do i convince the missis that iam not really having an affair and been away on a dirty weekend.

    i would see deer but they were always out of season or not a safe shot, but i was always pleased with myself for not taking the unsafe shot, or pleased that i had learnt a lesson and maybe that would pay dividends next time.Sucess is quite often now so happy days
    i always feel so so sleepy when i get in a high seat

    thanks
    craggy

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    I bought my pro hunter new and the mod. Rest is all second hand. Scopes are old fashioned fixed, bins are lower middle class and I build my own highseats. meat in the freezer, I have yet to shoot four spicies of deer. I have galloched ten times the number I have shot. I have dragged deer more miles than some people are prepared to walk. I'm old, I'm fat, I'm retired. I shoot, stalk and play bowls, I stick my head above the parra pit and build the occasional shed. I worked long hours, I want to enjoy what I earned before I am too old. Life is a journey to be enjoyed. I don't need to kill something to enjoy it. But I am a hunter and don't have any qualms when I do. When the kill is more important than the hunt it is time to give up. I have let an immature pheasant fly over my gun only for it to be turned into a pillowcase by the next down the line. Bloodlust.
    Like it, mate , I like it.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Similar Threads

  1. Opportunities in Canada
    By david1976 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 08:18
  2. Available Park Culling Opportunities
    By Jelendeer in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13-02-2012, 09:16
  3. Red stag browsing.
    By stag1933 in forum Photos
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-11-2011, 23:24
  4. FC lease opportunities
    By JAYB in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-08-2011, 11:09
  5. Wanted Stalking opportunities in Norfolk
    By Pop Larkin in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-01-2011, 00:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •