Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreasonable conditions

Unreasonable conditions

Ive agreed to be a referee and mentor for a mate at work who has just applied for his FAC.
    He had his FEO interview this morning and was told that he can have a .22 for vermin and a 243 for deer but the 243 will be granted on the condition that he does the DSC 1,
    Ive told him to challenge this via the BASC as i suspect its unlawful

Most constabularies now insist on either DSC 1 or a suitable mentor. Unless you can show evidence of paid stalks, there is a problem with showing a reason to possess a firearm. If you were deemed as a suitable mentor and have suitable land to stalk on, then there shouldn't be a problem. Whether it is lawful or not is questionable but the FEO will be working to Home office guidelines.
    However, very soon it most probably will be a legal requirement so he might as well get it done to beat the rush!
    MS

i,d got my dsc1 ,booked for payed stalking and was in a syndicate. my fac still came back with a named mentor on it and it was never mentioned too me???
    but never said owt as was happy to have my fac and dint want too upset the apple cart.
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    but the FEO will be working to Home office guidelines.
    MS
    The HO Guidelines do NOT state anything about a mentor, and only in Exceptional Circumstances should the COoP be imposing conditions.
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 Bore
    Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - 30-06
    Countryside Management Diary - http://www.leagueofwrath.co.uk/cmblog/

If you were deemed as a suitable mentor and have suitable land to stalk on, then there shouldn't be a problem. Whether it is lawful or not is questionable but the FEO will be working to Home office guidelines.
    he has his own land with deer on it as do i, and his FEO has accepted me as a suitable mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jonty h View Post
    he has his own land with deer on it as do i, and his FEO has accepted me as a suitable mentor
    I'd be challenging that then. As much as I support the DSC system (being an AW!), you will learn a lot more about safety from a suitable mentor than you will sat in a classroom!
    MS

I had the mentoring condition which was removed when I had passed my DSC1,I hadnt been out with my mentor who had agreed.Mine was an unnamed mentor just said something about experienced CF user....

My frustration is with the "closed" condition for which I see no benefit to public safety....

Martin

Unpopular though it may be, I am increasingly of the opinion that to allow someone the use of a CF rifle without formal training is not a good idea.

It depends how "formal training" is defined. Anyone who has served in the Forces will have "formal training" but it doesnt make them any safer than someone with no "formal training"?
    I have dsc1 condition for my .243, but have held my FAC for over 5 years, have an open ticket for my rimmie, 20cal and .223 plus target for all my rifles upto and including 7.62

Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    Anyone who has served in the Forces will have "formal training" but it doesnt make them any safer than someone with no "formal training"?
    Really? So someone who has received training in the use of firearms from the military is no safer than someone who has had none? I can only assume you've either never received any military firearms training, or the person delivering it was rubbish. Given the amount of work done with firearms in the military, the incidence of firearms accidents is extremely low, and that's down to the training!