Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nice evening.

A nice evening.

Through the site me and Snowy have met a couple of keen young local stalkers, we alread had some good banter over at mine when they came over for a zeroing session early on in the week and i promised to take them for a session in a high seat.
    One lad who is nearly always away at a far off destination was keen to get a roe buck before he went back, so yesterday evening i had him over for a look.
    In the morning i had been out for a recce and found a fresh scrape with slots at the bottom of a birch tree smack in front of one of the seats, along with plenty of fresh slots and scrapes here there and everywhere i knew a new buck had moved in but where he would appear would be anyones guess .
    We got there in plenty of time that evening and with liberal amounts of mozzie repelant we headed off to my most productive high seat, i have taken some really good quality bucks from here in the past so it was fingers crossed as we settled in and waited.
    No sign of a buck but after an hour or so we heard movement and cracking of twigs about 30m to our left, a large red hind with her calf appeard we looked on as the calf nudged and started to suckcle his mother something i suppose you dont see everyday at such close quaters in an english woodland.
    We were running out of light with no sign of a buck so moved to a seat in a more open area to give us some last few mins, a ploy that has worked for me many times in the past.
    We hadnt been there long when the hind and her calf stepped out again right in front of us, but sadly the buck did what bucks seem to do at this time of year and did a no show.
    When the hind and her calf had moved on we called it a day, on the way back to the landy we clocked a good few deer moving and we both got a treat when we spotted a group of stags amongst them was a monster huge multi point stag i have never seen before so great end to a smashing evening.
    Realy enjoyed your company Andy ( pirate hunter) you are welcome anytime bud hopefully nxt time your luck will be in. DF

Thanks bob

Had a great evening and really enjoyed seeing the hind and it's calf that close.Never had as good a time with out pulling the trigger. And them stags all I can say is WOW what a sight. Don't forget your welcome on are bit anytime.

Thanks again pal

Andy

Nice one chaps where are the stag photo's ???????????

Nice to hear and read that you enjoyed it Andy, bit of an eye opener for you I believe . Will see if we can get you out on this side once the crops are down although god knows when that'll be with this weather.

Wayne it was too dark for photo's, there was a particular one that stood out through the binos though he looked big enough to be the aggresive one that i christned stagzilla still have bad memorys of him charging me last year !
    Put it this way if it makes an appearance again this rut, he will be taking pride of place above my mantle peice DF

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate hunter View Post
    Thanks bob

Had a great evening and really enjoyed seeing the hind and it's calf that close.Never had as good a time with out pulling the trigger. And them stags all I can say is WOW what a sight. Don't forget your welcome on are bit anytime.

Thanks again pal

Andy

No problem pal you were more than welcome,a bit peeved we never got you a buck but best plans and all that eh DF

Well done lads.
    Bob I have got the reds now on one of my permissions and am seeing them regular.

Thats good news John, i have a mate up north yorkshire who has been seeing a few on his ground that seem to have just come from nowhere. DF

They have been in a certain area for many years but are beginning to expand well now, I saw 13 that morning.

Well Done lads and John don't you wish you had taken our bob under your wing with them 1000 plus stags hanging around .