scottish stalkers told to get qualified

roering

artical in augusts sporting rifle, scottish deer stalkers have been challenged to take the deer stalking certificate level 1 or they may see laws introduced making them officially register and undertake a competence course before going out on the hill under the wild and natural enviroment scotland act 2011, scottish natural heritage must carry out a comprtence review in 2014 ,basically what they are saying the best way to avoid all the the red tape is to do dsc 1

I wonder who we could get to keep the database of all the registered stalkers ..................................

Jobs for the boys yet again.

Well it will probably be self regulating. Flo needs to see your certificate before deer on your fac. No deer no stalking.

dont think that will happen 1 if there are 10.000 stalkers all rushing to get there ds1 all the rest waiting to do theres have guns specifiyed for stalking which they cant use on eney thing else are the police going to reimburse all the stalkers who dont want to do the ds1 ie pay for there guns as they will be no good for bunney bashing bad idea me thinks and why start in scotland every time it us first bla de bla im not doing it end off doing the ds1 will not maik you a better deer stalker there are stalkers who have shot all ther lives for a living without eney ds1/ds2 just my 2sents

artical in augusts sporting rifle, scottish deer stalkers have been challenged to take the deer stalking certificate level 1 or they may see laws introduced making them officially register and undertake a competence course before going out on the hill under the wild and natural enviroment scotland act 2011, scottish natural heritage must carry out a comprtence review in 2014 ,basically what they are saying the best way to avoid all the the red tape is to do dsc 1

Maybe people should just stop moaning and go and get their DSC1, they may even learn something..........:stir:

I emailed SNH about this, it's not going to happen. The wane act dictates that a review of competency levels and deer welfare issues must be undertaken in 2014. Training providers have gotten together in light of this and decided to push people into dscone 'voluntarily' so that levels are high enough and change is not necessary.

I posted the emails that I sent and recieved in a thread called 'minimum training standards' in the training section. They're on the last page. Read them and make up your own mind.

It will happen and has happend if you are not qualified you will loose the right to shoot deer. 2014 is were SNH will decide if the voluntary sector can make it work ( best option for them) if not and there is no real push they will move in and set there own tests. (they dont want that)

dont think that will happen 1 if there are 10.000 stalkers all rushing to get there ds1 all the rest waiting to do theres have guns specifiyed for stalking which they cant use on eney thing else are the police going to reimburse all the stalkers who dont want to do the ds1 ie pay for there guns as they will be no good for bunney bashing bad idea me thinks and why start in scotland every time it us first bla de bla im not doing it end off doing the ds1 will not maik you a better deer stalker there are stalkers who have shot all ther lives for a living without eney ds1/ds2 just my 2sents

I'm sure they would just say that as of 20xx it will be law that DSC 1 is required to stalk deer, giving at least couple of years for all the non dsc1 holders to go out and get it before deer are removed from their licence.

Last edited:
dont think that will happen 1 if there are 10.000 stalkers all rushing to get there ds1 all the rest waiting to do theres have guns specifiyed for stalking which they cant use on eney thing else are the police going to reimburse all the stalkers who dont want to do the ds1 ie pay for there guns

Oh, you mean like they did when hand guns were banned !!!!

i think it should be a condition that you must have minimum dsc1 to get deer on your ticket. The experienced guys cant complain they've had ample time to get it.

i think it should be a condition that you must have minimum dsc1 to get deer on your ticket. The experienced guys cant complain they've had ample time to get it.

So someone who had been managing deer all their working life is to be told that unless they fork out hundreds of pounds they must find another career or employment?

Just because a couple of organisations decide it was good money spinning scheme and managed to hoodwink others to accept it :mad:. Poor old Cliff is turning in his grave.

I agree ELRIG this one two years ago was fought hard for on this very site no one now can grumble.Get your lev 1 done and get on with stalking.;)

Although I don't see it ever happening, they should never ever choose DSC level one as the standard for training. It's profiteering by the providers of the training. It's like the government telling you that you have to buy your shopping at asda and nowhere else.

Last edited:
I'm employed full time as a forestry deer ranger on one of the most well know estates in Scotland we had to do ours back in 1999. remember its the BDS that sets the prices not SNH or FC.
Its the way life is now its all paper work and training.

why was the dsc 1&2 thought up?

I emailed SNH about this, it's not going to happen. The wane act dictates that a review of competency levels and deer welfare issues must be undertaken in 2014. Training providers have gotten together in light of this and decided to push people into dscone 'voluntarily' so that levels are high enough and change is not necessary.

I posted the emails that I sent and recieved in a thread called 'minimum training standards' in the training section. They're on the last page. Read them and make up your own mind.

In the lead up to the WANE bill being passed it was SNH who were pushing for a compulsory minimum standard along with a register to be included in the Bill. Thankfully due to a lot of lobbying by lots of people including organisation such as BASC, BDS etc this was not included but they managed to get a 'hook' left which meant that after a period of time they could review the situation and if they could prove deer welfare was being compromised then they could ask the Scottish Ministers to implement the minimum standard and register. As the WANE Bill contains all the necessary wording for this to happen once the decision is taken it can be implemented very easily with little or no further legislation changes.

I do not know how SNH will prove one way or the other that deer welfare is being compromised but must assume the uptake of training is one of the good indicators.

The review is to be completed by 2014 which will then be followed by a period of consultation on the outcome of the review. So if a minimum standard and registration is to be implemented then I would expect some grace period to be given to allow those who have not attained the minimum standard to do so therefore any implementation of this would be even further out.

Personally I think there is a high chance of this happening given what SNH tried to do at the beginning and one of the ways of reducing the risk is for the deer stalking community to show it takes deer welfare seriously and one way of showing this is by a good uptake of DSC1

Mulac

+1 now if this scam was just for full time stalkers i can see a point but for recreatonal stalkers im sure most estates will charge you a few pounds more when you go stalking to send there stalkers for testing so when you get a tax bill in for all the deer you have sold to the game dealer without declaring it on your income dont moan just coughf up your keeping sombodey in a job you have your ds1 ds2 they now have a record of all the dear stalkers in the uk so your telling me sir you shot 40stags and you ate them no sir thats 1400pound you owe us in undeclared tax :eek:

I'm employed full time as a forestry deer ranger on one of the most well know estates in Scotland we had to do ours back in 1999. remember its the BDS that sets the prices not SNH or FC.
Its the way life is now its all paper work and training.

why was the dsc 1&2 thought up?

Simples ....................................................... to bring in coin for the likes of BDS etc ;).

If they do dream up a minimum competency test - would having the DSC level 1 mean that you wouldn't have to take the tests?
Or would everyone who wants to stalk in Scotland have to do the tests - regardless of level 1/2??

It could end up with every stalker having to take "their tests" to be qualified to stalk in Scotland :eek:
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

So someone who had been managing deer all their working life is to be told that unless they fork out hundreds of pounds they must find another career or employment?

Just because a couple of organisations decide it was good money spinning scheme and managed to hoodwink others to accept it :mad:. Poor old Cliff is turning in his grave.

If someone surrenders their career for a couple of hundred pounds then they obviously don't care much for their career, do they? What about career electricians - they have to get IEE 17th edition or they can't wire up a plug, people connecting gas appliances need CORGI registration etc etc.
In my opinion, people really should just stop moaning and get their DSC1.

Back