Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 243

This might just be me being a bit of a numpty, but, why does no one make a bullet larger than 105 grains in 243?

Is it due to ballistics, physical impossibility or to hard to do-ism?

You can get 115 grain dtacs and 115 Berger vlds
    1. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Proverbs 26:4 (King James version)
    2. Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Walsh View Post
    This might just be me being a bit of a numpty, but, why does no one make a bullet larger than 105 grains in 243?

No, 107 SMK, 115 DTACs to name two. Berger has some 108gr. The main issue is twist. My Sako 75 sent the 105 A-Maxs sideways through the target with a 1:10 twist much to the late moe243's amusement. When I moved to a 1:8 twist Borders Archer barrel I could happily shoot 105 AMax and 107 SMKs.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/243win/

Here's some Berger bullets.
    http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midwa...store=MidwayUK

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 13-07-2012 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by murray50 View Post
    Why would you want anything that big
    BC wins every time. Regards JCS

"Everyone" states that the 243 isnt big enough for the larger deer species and that it doesnt have the power needed for them, so, if thats the case, then surely a heavier bullet would increase its potential.
    Dont get me wrong, I like the 243. Its the only centrefire rifle I own and I know what people say about shot placement, I just wondered what the obstacle was at making say a 120 grain 243 bullet. I take it from what jcampbellsmith said, that its all down to the barrels twist?

if they could manufacture 120g rounds that left the barrel at 3500fps what a gun the 243 would be can but dream i love my 243 the bc on a 120 would be nice whooosh thud fear no deer the 243 can do it

Quote Originally Posted by murray50 View Post
    Why would you want anything that big
    Just curious, are you stating that in your opinion the 100/105 grain bullets are enough.
    Im still very much a novice at stalking. As i said, i have a 243 with which ive shot roe and yearling red, no problems at all, its just that when i see all these posts about this calibre being better than that calibre, etc., it starts to make me think about whether a 243 is suitable as an all rounder. I am fortunate enough to be in a syndicate in Scotland and the ground holds both roe and red, the latter of which run to a good size

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    BC wins every time. Regards JCS
    too right it does and the 105s are mustard in that archer barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn Walsh View Post

Simply put that in standard twist barrels they will not stabilise. The bullets become too long and do not spin fast enough to remain travelliing point forwards and start to tumble.

In fact is some .243 rifles the 100 grain boat tail bullets are marginal.