shooting ground with a (closed) certificate

apollo

Hi im mentoring a mate of mine whos got a closed licence and has a few farms cleared to shoot on, my question is can he shoot with permission, on ground that i shoot on if its been cleared up to his calibre, i have an open licence but im sure some places i got are cleared but before i get it looked into im checking whether he could shoot it even though its not on his licence...eddie

Land is not specifically associated to a license, as I understand it, it's just to show "good reason". With a closed ticket you only need two things, "permission" to shoot on the land, and it's cleared for the caliber you're shooting.

does this mean if i gain a permission or someone wants me to shoot a one off fox on there land then i can without informing the police?

thanks
Tom

does this mean if i gain a permission or someone wants me to shoot a one off fox on there land then i can without informing the police?

thanks
Tom

Yes, assuming it's cleared for your rifle caliber, but always get the permission to shoot in writing. There are plenty of examples of forms on the web. Just find a simple straight forward one, and keep a few in the car.

thanks
Tom
Not according to kent Police, i've just got permission for my mate who has a closed licence, to shoot rabbits with me on one of my permissions, the ground is cleared for his calibre and although the FEO has said verbally that the ground in question is on the register as cleared, he cannot shoot on it until he recieves the letter from the police confirming this to be the case and that he is cleared to shoot it(this applies to all "new land on which he secures permisions"), the FEO made it quite clear that if he were caught there before the letter arrived, he would be in a world of s**t, so i would urge caution! especially if you are in the habit of informing the police every time you are on the ground? think about it, to do so you have to give all your details:)
What i can say for sure is that IF you were "caught" the explanation of "they said on the forum it was ok" probably wouldn't be much use?
Now we all know the dreadful differences in the way that different forces enforce firearms law, and if your force says in writng that you are ok to go ahead, thats one thing, but i would for the sake of an e-mail at least, check first with them coz once you've been picked up my feeling is that you'd wish you had?

Tikkat3

I would agree that getting written confirmation from the police, showing what calibre the land has been cleared for is sensible, and covering yourself, but having a closed ticket just means that the land has to have been cleared by the chief constable first, not that you have to get written police permission to shoot on every "permission" you get !

Or, am I wrong ?

I would agree that getting written confirmation from the police, showing what calibre the land has been cleared for is sensible, and covering yourself, but having a closed ticket just means that the land has to have been cleared by the chief constable first, not that you have to get written police permission to shoot on every "permission" you get !

Or, am I wrong ?

Yes you are wrong according to Kent Police
Tikkat3

Tikka, what EXACTLY does his certificate say? The language should be quite clear. If it's the standard "over land approved by the COP" then they're talking c##p!

Whilst I appreciate that's what Kent may have said, I'm with Mr.Hook, & Dalua on this one. FEO's, like all people, can, & do make mistakes.

Too true. The only problem is that if you get it wrong, or they think you're wrong, or you're wrong according to their possibly mistaken interpretation of the law - guess who gets their FAC revoked/suspended? My advice would always be, if in doubt ask you local FEO. If you don't like his advice or guidance, or think he's wrong in law, then sort it out with him, the CoP or in court. I'm always slightly bemused by folk asking these sort of questions on this forum. You only have to see the wide range of differing experiences that are reported from members across the Country to appreciate it's a minefield. I'm prepared to bet my pension that "Somebody on the Stalking Directory website said it was OK" does not constitute an adequate defence? :)

I agree checking is the safest way, and I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for getting someone into trouble. I have to be honest, and say I thought this particular point was quite straight forward. Silly me :doh:

I'm SOOO pleased I come under Hert's, & Bed's. They are truly a pleasure to deal with.

Back