Thread: Renewing our high seats with help of my British friends

Renewing our high seats with help of my British friends

About 2 weeks ago Ross and John got over from the UK to try at some boar. Over the past weeks the boar had visited our 8 feeding stations every day, so i was quite confident they could bag one. I was there for the whole week, together with my dad, because our syndicate also needed to do some work at the high seats and build a new mobile high seat.

Renewing the legs of the high seat is difficult work. Over the past year i renewed several with my dad and we saved the best (tallest) for last. Over the years the climate, insects and the rain rottens the legs on the high seat and they have to be fixed or even better replaced. Obviously for safety reasons as some of our high seats are standing tall. Fortunately i had the help of Ross and John that week who where keen to experience a lesson in "how to build and renew highseats" .
    What striked them most is that i could take wood and cut trees from the woodland for free and that i stripped the wood from the bark before using it in building the high seat. That is done because insects will not go lay eggs under the bark and speeden up the breakdown process or be a hatching ground which can infect other trees (which the forester does not like). So it is more or less compulsory to undo the tree from the bark. Luckily I had cut the trees down the same day so the bark was easy to remove. Biggest problem was to get them upright (very heavy) and attach them to the existing structure (so high up even a tall ladder just did the job). But in the end we managed and i attach a picture of my two little helpers at the fixed high seat. I build the new structure around the old one and leave the old one for now. I just need to put some more supporting crosses in.

On the wild boar hunt we did less then aspected. A syndicate member shot a piglet the first night. I sat out with John on a promising "low seat" but did not see any, maybe the bad weather, lightning and thunder some miles away spooked them.
    John had seen his first wild boar on his second night on his own. They where all around his high seat but did not come on the feeding station. He heard them breaking, sqeeling and eating in the undergrowth. Which can be quite intimidating if its youre first outing on the wild boar. Later that night 2 wild boar came out on the fields at 120 meters but unfortunately John could not determine the gender and with the risk of shooting a dependent sow he did not shoot. Which is very good, i have a lot of respect for those who are not to eager to shoot at something they cannot determine proper. The other night he got a piglet on the feeding station which he unfortunately missed. And a large wild boar which misteriously went missing under the high seat when it passed (bad luck).
    Ross apparently had left his "honey bum" at home but did see loads of roe during the week and some wild boar on the last night. It where 2 sows with 3 piglets, but to far away for a responsible shot. Again well done on that judgement (decisions like that get you other invites ) but of course did not aspect otherwise as he done very well in the past on his choice of taking the shot. Due to fog and bad weather it was a bit dissappointing to me i could not offer my friends some more sport, but that is hunting. They will try again later this year in september.
    I attach some photo's of work we did earlier that year on another high seat and the "low seat" and feeding station me and John where at the first night.Attachment 17465Attachment 17466Attachment 17467Attachment 17468Attachment 17469Attachment 17470Attachment 17471
    Last edited by Holland&Holland; 16-07-2012 at 09:59.

those are some impressive structures you built there!

regards, Jez.
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Some good HIGH seats there Ruud

Hopefully see you again when your over with Wayne

Jonathon

Bloody hell Ruud a few of those are up in the air a bit I hope you repaired them well just in case I do visit

Some of the best seats i have seen mate well done!! p.s Sod re felting the roof.. LOL

High seats? I could live in those.

Very interesting
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

very impressed great looking seats / towers regards pete .

Quote Originally Posted by Holland&Holland View Post
    About 2 weeks ago Ross and John got over from the UK to try at some boar. Over the past weeks the boar had visited our 8 feeding stations every day, so i was quite confident they could bag one. I was there for the whole week, together with my dad, because our syndicate also needed to do some work at the high seats and build a new mobile high seat.

Renewing the legs of the high seat is difficult work. Over the past year i renewed several with my dad and we saved the best (tallest) for last. Over the years the climate, insects and the rain rottens the legs on the high seat and they have to be fixed or even better replaced. Obviously for safety reasons as some of our high seats are standing tall. Fortunately i had the help of Ross and John that week who where keen to experience a lesson in "how to build and renew highseats" .
    What striked them most is that i could take wood and cut trees from the woodland for free and that i stripped the wood from the bark before using it in building the high seat. That is done because insects will not go lay eggs under the bark and speeden up the breakdown process or be a hatching ground which can infect other trees (which the forester does not like). So it is more or less compulsory to undo the tree from the bark. Luckily I had cut the trees down the same day so the bark was easy to remove. Biggest problem was to get them upright (very heavy) and attach them to the existing structure (so high up even a tall ladder just did the job). But in the end we managed and i attach a picture of my two little helpers at the fixed high seat. I build the new structure around the old one and leave the old one for now. I just need to put some more supporting crosses in.

On the wild boar hunt we did less then aspected. A syndicate member shot a piglet the first night. I sat out with John on a promising "low seat" but did not see any, maybe the bad weather, lightning and thunder some miles away spooked them.
    John had seen his first wild boar on his second night on his own. They where all around his high seat but did not come on the feeding station. He heard them breaking, sqeeling and eating in the undergrowth. Which can be quite intimidating if its youre first outing on the wild boar. Later that night 2 wild boar came out on the fields at 120 meters but unfortunately John could not determine the gender and with the risk of shooting a dependent sow he did not shoot. Which is very good, i have a lot of respect for those who are not to eager to shoot at something they cannot determine proper. The other night he got a piglet on the feeding station which he unfortunately missed. And a large wild boar which misteriously went missing under the high seat when it passed (bad luck).
    Ross apparently had left his "honey bum" at home but did see loads of roe during the week and some wild boar on the last night. It where 2 sows with 3 piglets, but to far away for a responsible shot. Again well done on that judgement (decisions like that get you other invites ) but of course did not aspect otherwise as he done very well in the past on his choice of taking the shot. Due to fog and bad weather it was a bit dissappointing to me i could not offer my friends some more sport, but that is hunting. They will try again later this year in september.
    I attach some photo's of work we did earlier that year on another high seat and the "low seat" and feeding station me and John where at the first night.Attachment 17465Attachment 17466Attachment 17467Attachment 17468Attachment 17469Attachment 17470Attachment 17471
    A lot of blood sweat and tears went into re building that highseat.

Lets hope when I visit next time I will gain the fruits of my labour and shoot a boar from it. It is very high, you almost get a nose bleed when you get up past 1000 feet!!!

Cheers

Ross